Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:08 pm 

4 seconds from a holed pot
and debris in the crank

cliff

ps
lucky at best

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:49 am 

There are a lot of variables to investigate, one might be carb balance. One cylinder pulling harder because the carb was not adjusted even with the others on its cable adjustment.

Which piston is damaged?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:37 pm 

Hi again

Will pop the piston and barrel off soon to see if there’s and further damage. It’s the centre pot. The bike has been off the road for the last 7 years, was running ok prior to this, bar the flat spot per this thread.

I’m thinking I have more than one problem here. The bike was bought 10 years ago as non runner with loads of non-standard bits: home made expansion chambers, GSXR bits here and there, home-made fuel tap, home made ignition switch to name a few.

I have an aftermarket fuel tap fitted. See pic. Looking closely, the 3rd outlet is smaller bore than the other two, and wonder if it’s actually large enough to meet the flow required... or could I be getting fuel starvation? On mine, the 3rd elbow outlet also goes to the centre cylinder which has overheated.

Thoughts?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:51 pm 

Hard to see but are there two brass nipples and that one 90 degree nipple? Is this a vacuum petcock?

1976 KZ400
1979 XS650 Cafe
1982 GPz750
2001 KZ1000P
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it; it's not really yours"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:39 pm 

Correct - has two brass horizontal outlets and 3rd ally elbow. It was the only reserve type fuel tap available I could find and is non vacuum. There are loads advertised on ebay. Any one used them on a 500?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fuel-Petcoc ... 890.l49292

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:57 pm 

Correct fuel valve will have a vacuum diaphragm held with 5 screws and its own vacuum hose nipple. Fuel side will have 3 fuel out nipples.

Lever will have three positions, ON - PRIME - RES. The valve you show isn't for an H series Kawasaki, could be from one of the 4 stroke models, but, you need the 3 outlet feed. Some two feed manual valves have un-drilled bosses, so another fuel delivery nipple can be added. "T" fitting them all together isn't the best way to do it, either.

The ignition timing is a 3 system setup, magnetic pickup, ignition box, coil for each cylinder, one could be off significantly

Carb synch, some do it one way, others differently, but I usually do it with the engine running, first at idle, then with the throttle cable adjuster at the twist grip holding the engine at about 2K rpms. My choice is 3 vacuum fittings, one on each carb, and a mercury manometer (Carb Styx), the other way is to use a Uni-Syn on each carb, one at a time. A carb that is lagging, slide too far down, lags that cylinder, causing leanness, overheating, and possibly what your center piston was up to.

Contrary to popular belief, the center cylinder does not run hotter than the outside ones, it is usually about 10 deg/F cooler than the outside carbs, but only when the stock front fender is in use. The flow of air over and around the fender was designed to help cool the center cylinder, and when done as stock, works well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:24 am 
Site Admin

One carb (RH) will have a vacuum port for the petcock. If this port is not blocked/capped off it will cause a lean condition on that cyl.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:50 am 

As Dale says, a right hand carb with a vacuum port for the fuel-tap could end up on any cylinder, given the course of time, def. something to check. Lost count of the number of times you are doing a top speed run with a Z1 or something, and you run onto reserve....that slight indicative whistle, a second of doubt, and a nipped up skirt. Getting to the next fuel-stop and pretending nothing had happened! :lol: I was never afraid of Z-1's! All good fun!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:09 pm 

Z1's or 900 Ninja's
Beat or even keel on each.

Keep the feedback coming as to why it happened.

cliff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:34 pm 

ALTERED IMAGE wrote:
Z1's or 900 Ninja's
Beat or even keel on each.
cliff

Oh, early Z1's in Australia, '73/'74. H2 quicker for acceleration, generally even on top speed. Out in the Country you might race for 70 miles, that was a full tank on a H2 and about the distance between gas stations!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next