Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:31 pm 

I'm sure this has been covered but I'm new to the forum so my searches were kind of hit and miss didn't really fit what I was looking for. I just purchased my 4th H2, the bike starts right up seems to run fine, no excess noise but the right chamber is putting out more smoke than the others, at least 2x. Now all the others I have had I premixed, the oil pumps were blocked off. The person I purchased from said the pump had new seals under it and that it had not been ridden much and the rides or starts were short. Question is, what would cause excess smoke in right chamber? I was going to start checking the plugs, cleaning the carb bowls, and checking for obvious things. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Haven't had one for about 10 years so way out of practice diagnosing.

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:43 am 

It "may" have a real early oil pump which leaked excessive oil into the right cylinder, (not likely), It "may" have a leaking RH end main crank seal sucking gearbox oil in, (check the 'box oil level or you will have 2 problems). That's the first thing, just reading your post, there can be other causes. :think:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:33 am 

Ok I’ll check the gearbox soon as you said crank seal I think I was blocking that out. I remember about.... well years ago the first one I Put together putting that seal in backwards and filling the right chamber with oil... when the cylinder fired blew oil about 50’ out of the back like a cannon. Lol. Thanks for the information, I’m guessing by your response that’s the most likely culprit. Was hoping just sitting for a couple years and frequent short runs was just oil build up somewhere or a gummed up carb.

Have a great day

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:44 am 

ragergreg wrote:
when the cylinder fired blew oil about 50’ out of the back like a cannon.

That was actually very lucky. If you had that much oil get into the crankcase through that seal, I don't know how you didn't bend the connecting rod when the piston came up against the oil. That's what often happens when the oil line check valves leak and let oil get into the crankcase chambers while the bike is parked for a few weeks or months.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:19 pm 

maybe thats the right amount of smoke... :lol: and the other two aren't smoking enough?! :?

On one of my 400's, I had an oil line that wasn't properly primed (had some air bubbles) so it appeared that it wasn't smokin' at all (or very little). This is the reverse of your issue, but might be applicable if your two other chambers aren't getting enough oil via the pump.