Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:08 pm 

I have only 1 1/4 clearance between center header pipe and oem stock front fender, 75 H2C, seems to close? i had to put new racetech springs in to stiffen the shocks but never hits.It did with the stock springs.forks are at stock setting in the triple clamp.frame does not appear to be cracked, bent, etc. head stock ok looks original. thought it might be the fender but compared it with another same thing,looked at other H2"s they have wider gap. anybody have a idea why this is? will try to post picture of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:11 pm 

here is the photo.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:48 pm 

You might take a look at carefully lowering the front fender on its bolts. It looks like there is a lot of room between the tire and fender, that could be closed down. A simple redo of the fender screw holes might work, or, if appearance isn't critical, slotting the holes and lowering the fender a bit....CAREFULLY.

PLEASE, be CAREFUL if you end up trying the above. Case in point, a LOT of BMW riders fitted 400 sized tires to the front of their bikes, creating a serious clearance issue between the tire and front fender bolted in the stock position, and when those tires grew, they rubbed the underside of the fender to bracket bolt nuts, causing tire failure, and in a handful of cases, rider loss. Yes, I am aware the H fender doesn't have the bolts/screws on the fender curvature, but that doesn't mean the tire can't still rub the fender bracket if it gets out of hand.

It also looks like the primary pipe is curved a lot more openly than the stock primary pipe, and sticks out farther forward than the stock pipe, but it might just be an illusion in the picture.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:04 pm 

yea i had the stock mufflers and stock header pipes on it ,same clearance, and your right Tuner went that route with another fender bracket with holes moved up for more clearance, helps. but why is it closer than others? is it cause of mass production and they vary from one to another? I'm just trying to keep it original in this area also. again its the why factor its close to the fender? I also thought the radius of the fender may be bigger than the other same late model fender I have ,looks to be the same.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:55 pm 

maybe your right! looked at again the center appears to out 1/4 - 3/8 more. there DENCOS . but still its close.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:45 pm 

I installed a set of FPP on my '72 and the centre downpipe looked very close to the fender.. I bounced it up and down in the garage, decided it was OK and went for a ride. Under corner braking, the forks compressed and the fender hit the pipe - suddenly I'm going straight instead of turning.

I couldn't figure it out because I had those pipes on my other H2 and they were fine? The solution was to grind 1/4" of the part of the pipe that slips into the spigot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:38 am 

yes i considered doing that also. seems the 74 75 models have less clearance ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:28 am 

Zambia's solution is a good one as well. Possibly, both together.

Only question is why can't the pipe guys get it right, the first time? Some did, and can. Some build stuff on jigs that don't have all the components in place, other reasons.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:08 am 

can someone post a picture of the clearance from your 74-75 H2 with stock fender and stock header pipe, or chambers? I just want to see and compare the difference thanks!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:30 pm 

It also looks like the flange on the pipe fits over the spigot on the exhaust port. So, that would mean you cannot alter the pipe spigot to help the pipe angle rearward. If the pipe slid into the flange on the port, then, slight angle of the end of the pipe could be used to angle the pipe upwards at the rear, bringing the pipe backwards whatever could be "gotten away with".

Might also ask if someone can take a length measurement from a frame cross member to the rear of the tire, fender, might help to check your lengths.

There ought to be pictures on the sales part of the site, and on E-Bay to look at as far as pipe to fender.

Whatever you end up doing, do it very carefully, this isn't an area that should be done hastily.