Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:21 pm 

I'm doing OK too, thanks. I recently bought a Yamaha MT-07 and have been having fun with it. As I've said to a couple guys, it seems like Yamaha has been following me around for a year or two to learn exactly what I want in a motorcycle, and this is it. It handles better than my Ninja 250, and is as fast as a stock H2, but only 400 lbs. ABS is standard on them too. It's going to be around 60F here tomorrow, so I'll probably take a short ride.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:06 pm 

Cool!!!

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:43 am 

I'm a bit jealous of your weather, lol. I sold my old T500 a couple of years ago but have parts from 2 others so am building another one this winter. We're spending a lot of time in Nova Scotia and I do track days up there (with the little Ninja) and I might take the T500 there to try it out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:33 am 

I need to get off my butt and get to a track with my 250. There are a couple within an hour or two of me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:07 pm 

Jim wrote:
...I recently bought a Yamaha MT-07 and have been having fun with it. As I've said to a couple guys, it seems like Yamaha has been following me around for a year or two to learn exactly what I want in a motorcycle, and this is it. It handles better than my Ninja 250, and is as fast as a stock H2, but only 400 lbs. ABS is standard on them too.

Nice Jim. :thumbup: I've been thinking of downsizing from my '08 Suzuki GSF 1250 Bandit, to a more "fitting" bike like the one below. While the 1250 is one of the lighter bikes with that engine size, it still feels too heavy for my all-around comfort level, and at around 134 lbs lighter, the Yamaha would feel like my H2 weight-wise. Plus I like the aspect of it also being a triple!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:29 pm 

That looks like an MT-09. I got the two cylinder -07 for the same reasons you posted above. My '89 Moto Guzzi Mille GT was a fun motorcycle, but it weighed 500 lbs. The MT dropped 100 lbs off that! I thought about the MT-09, which has a lot more power, but I liked the gas mileage of the 07. I've been getting from the high 50s to low 60s! And it has plenty of power, just not a ridiculous amount. :) Here's one like mine:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:36 pm 

That's a good looking bike Jim. The older I get the more I appreciate lighter machinery. You really should try a track day or two: I learned more about riding the first year I started than in 40+ years prior to that. And the little bikes are pretty good on tires and other wear items.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:45 pm 

It's not too bad looking for a modern motorcycle. :)

I know you're right about learning from track riding. The first year I went to the 2-stroke meet at Deals Gap I said a similar thing... I learned more about taking turns that week that in my previous 32 years of riding. I've heard it said that a week at the Dragon is like a week-long track day. The biggest difference would seem to be that on the Dragon you can drag a knee at 35 mph.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:05 pm 

Back on topic: I lowered fuel level about 1 mm and will try that. Something I've noticed on this bike is that all kinds of little screws and bolts are loose (float bowls in this case). All the big stuff is okay but I'm always finding little stuff not quite tight.

I had forgotten there is an overflow in the carb bowl that's just a bit higher than the top of the float itself. That may have been the source of my fuel leak.

EDIT: NO IT'S NOT!!!

I wrote the above when I went into the house to get something to eat, but before I had actually removed the left hand carb float bowl. I went out after lunch to finish the job and had trouble separating the float bowl from the carb body. The reason? No gasket, and someone had used a black sealer to replace the gasket. It took quite a bit of wriggling, etc. to get it loose and when I slowly pulled it down I noticed a missing part: the pin the float pivots on! It didn't drop down anywhere, the float was just floating there, occasionally closing the needle valve (I'm sure) but mostly not. Come to think of it, that's the cylinder that was occasionally fouling the spark plug - no wonder!

Time to order parts; I was thinking of maybe taking a ride this afternoon when it was all back together but maybe this is Mother Nature's way of reminding me there's too much sand on the roads.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:36 pm 

So I'm looking online for parts and it appears the gasket is no longer available so I'll make one myself and find a float pin from another carb. I might get that ride in after all.,