Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My H2A is running
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:03 pm 

This is the H2A I bought last year. I got it running in July(it had sat for 25 years)and when I tried to ride it I found out the engine was weak and the clutch and transmission were shot. I bought a used transmission from Brian and ordered Wossner pistons for it and sent the crankshaft to Charlie. After I got all the goodies back I put it together. I had my machinist friend set the piston clearance at one and one half thousandths as Tuner recommended and set the carbs to the factory settings. I am running it on 100LL avgas(that's all I run in all my bikes, and the tiller, snowblower, mower and the weedwacker). I went out for the first run with 100 main jets in it and it seemed to run okay at all throttle settings except for WOT and it would pull decent up to about 5500 and then just go flat. When it was under load at WOT I jabbed the choke a little and didn't notice any change. When I got back I put the 97.5's in and tried again with no change. I thought maybe the liquid level in the bowls was off so I took and extra bowl, drilled and tapped it and added a clear tube. I set each carb in the vice and used a level. I had set the float height at 25mm when I went through the carbs. After I set the liquid level as close as I could to 3mm, I checked each of the float measurements just for the heck of it and they were all different. The way the float levels ended up is here:

Left Center Right

26.12 25.03 25.14 Measured with carb on side, slightly tilted
26.03 24.73 24.77 Measured with carb inverted
2.97 3.03 2.99 Fuel level below carb base

My measurements are as accurate as I could do them(which might not say much).

After I set the fluid levels I went for another spin with no change. I tried backing off the throttle slightly when pulling hard in high gear and it seemed to help a bit so I thought it might be over-jetted. I was scratching my head pretty good when my friend that has owned the local Honda/Yamaha dealership here in town stopped by. Mark is a top-notch mechanic so I asked him to take it for a ride and see what he thought. When he came back he said it he thought it ran like it was starving for air up top. After he left I called Tuner and mentioned what Mark said and Tuner asked me if the original air snorkel was still on the bike and I said yes. He told me to take it off and go for a ride. Holy crap did that thing wake up, it runs like a fricken demon. I put 102.5's in it and it ran even stronger. I put 105's in it and loves them. This thing runs so good it nuts, at low R's around town it is smooth, the power is all the way to the bottom and it barely surges. When you can the gas at about 4000 in first it stands straight up. I really can't believe how nice this bike runs, I think it's the strongest stock H2 I've ever ridden, what a gas! The Lakeland box is a good part of why it runs so well also. Now I need to quit riding it all day so I can get something done.

Here are the plugs after 50 miles of just riding around town at normal rpm's.

Here is my plug chop, new plugs, two quarter miles back to back.

Sometimes I think I know what I'm doing but then I wake up. I don't think I would have figured the snorkel restriction out without Marks and Tuners help.

Last edited by GUTS on Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My H2A is running
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:26 pm 

Nice to hear it runs great, sir. "Old age, and treachery, will always overcome youth and enthusiasm".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:07 am 

that was interesting to hear , but what is the air filter mainfold doing , (colapsing under vacuum ) ?. or is it the air box / air filter restricting it are you running a standard filter or KN ?,its a nice looking bike , enjoy it , urs Al in Aus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:58 am 

I have a K&N filter in it. I think as good as this engine runs the size of the small end of the horn must not be big enough to do the job now, I don't think it's collapsing. I did all my testing and jet changing a few weeks ago when it was in the high 90's, very high humidity and low pressure, I'm surprised it ran like it did. Now it's down in the 60's, high pressure and low humidity so the water grains, density altitude and corrected horsepower factors are good. I'm going to try 107.5's and see if it will handle them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:32 am 
Site Admin

The EPA "snouts" Kawasaki had to add to meet noise requirements were very restrictive. thye were known for reducing power. Why they are rare now, everyone threw them away..... along with the center stands and air boxes...... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:37 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
The EPA "snouts" Kawasaki had to add to meet noise requirements were very restrictive. thye were known for reducing power. Why they are rare now, everyone threw them away..... along with the center stands and air boxes...... ;)

Along with turn signals and grab bars... :banghead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:53 pm 

I used to have a lot of those snorkels, no more. One year, for the Kawasaki Corporate Halloween Party, I dressed up like Shvend Hydafoot, Viking warrior, and made a helmet out of leather, and two of those snorkels.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:29 pm 

I just sold the only one I ever had.

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:21 am 

Great update Jeff! Many times the issue is an easy fix, finding it can be the tough part.