Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:46 am 

Hello everyone, I thought it would be interesting to report the experience I had after replacing the original engine heads hemispherical dome with those produced by Ralf Schipmann.Image I had evaluated the carburetion conditions observing the colour of the spark plugs after a few hundred km at variable speed, even without having carried out a real plug chop, the result was as shown in the attached photo.ImageAfter installing the engine heads, and after about 70 km I observed the colour of the spark plugs and the result was surprising, also considering that in the meantime I have not changed any carburetion settings.ImageThe performance differences are in favour of the Schipmann heads as far as acceleration and rebound are concerned; I do not yet know the data of the possible variation in petrol consumption, however, the known surging problems remain. Now I have to correct the carburation, especially with regard to the very thin right cylinder; and here I would need the help of the experts of the site to whom I ask for advice to grease the carburation: increase the floating level (currently 23mm), tighten the air screw (currently 1+1/4), raise the needle clip (currently 2nd position) or?...? Thanks to all participants.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:57 pm 

The 1st thing you need to do is learn how a carburettor works.
Here is a link to a very good guide
http://www.iwt.com.au/mikunicarb.htm
After reading this then you will realise that taking the plugs out and asking what do you think? Is a waste of time because there's too many variables for what you think the plugs will be showing you
However it is possible to do plug chops and read what each throttle circuit is doing
See this link taken from triple resources
http://kawatriple.com/carb/plugchop.htm

I would also check the fuel level in the float bowls and balance the carbs
Lots of carb information in this link again taken from triple resources
http://kawatriple.com/carbtuning.htm

Good luck with your quest

Gary T

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:50 am 
Site Admin

The ONLY way you can read a plug is with a magnifying glass and a bright light. This chart is your friend.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:30 pm 

Take a look at the recent topic posted by a board member named "GUTS", his latest bare frame up restoration project is an H2, and his plugs are dead on right for jetting, oil pump and timing. There are pictures to see.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:35 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
The ONLY way you can read a plug is with a magnifying glass and a bright light.

Or if you go back in time to when you were 20 years old.