Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Optical triggers?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:56 pm 

I am working on another CDI or TCI triggered iggy and was wondering if anyone tried an optical sensor to trigger the iggy.

I really want my Zeel to trigger without trying to get a 1.4v signal.

Tests show that it is marginable with stock trig. coils at kick start speeds.

My thought was to send a sharp 5v or so signal voltage via the optical or hall effects, but tending towards optical since halls make false trigger on the rotor.

This trigger rotor is magnetized by the mag. rotor since they are coupled.

Anyone have any thoughts ?

I do know ambient light and dirt can upset these opto's

cliff

Post subject: Re: Optical triggers?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:44 pm 

No longer produced, Mallory was purchased 7 years ago by MSD, and MSD by Holley 3-1/2 years ago, but, the Mallory "Uni-Lite" used light sensor triggering.

Keep on it, there has to be a simple bunch of components to get you where yu need to go. BTW, the Uni-Lite failed because they were designed to run on a stock automotive points system with ballast resistor in place, and then, along comes the hi-perf set, removed the ballast resistor "to make it produce more spark voltage, and failures occurred all over the place. I have them set up on cars that killed them before I had the owners replace the stock ballast resistor in the system, and add the Mallory (MOPAR) resistor into the circuits. The Uni-Lite had NO drivrs to make longer dwell time, which charges the coil more, to make a larger spark, and, even with a "Hi-Perf" useless coil, spark output was same as a point distributor, exactly as Boots Mallory designed it to do.

Now, you are only looking for triggers, good, you don't have to use the circuits Mallory did, so, I doubt you would have problems with the triggers, as you are doing your own system from scratch.

I have felt for decades that the best DROP-IN POINTS ELIMINATOR system was always the Uni-Lite, as the worst today are Breaker-Less, and our best reason not to run one, any and all PerTronix Ignitor, I, II, LS and III. All the Uni-Lite needed was for the perf idiots to leave it alone, and dual resist it, that fixes the too high an input volts failure issues in their tracks

What I invented, designed and build isn't a low perf conversion, it is based on a GM High Energy Ignition (HEI) module, a far better processor than a points eliminator.

My distributor conversion website is davessmallbodyheis.com They ae not what you are seeking, they are magnetic triggered.

Post subject: Re: Optical triggers?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:24 am 

Again thanx. Have you fooled around with input shunt resistors in trigger pins? I allows a retard, based on RPM slope

I now run HEI's now on the bike, 3x separate systems. Resist to drop current to CDI coils and good since '84.

The Zeeltronics need about 1.4v pos. wave to trigger and.... I want a square 5v waveform at any RPM to get there fast to eliminate crank degrees to reach 1.4v trigger voltage since it is RPM and rise time dependent.

cliff

p.s.
zero crossing trig volts are not dependent on RPM's
ala. HEI fires on zero crossing