Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun May 26, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shifter Seal
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:45 am 

I replaced the shifter seal with an OEM seal, but its still seeping a bit of oil ... which appears to be coming from around the outer edge of the seal (apparently not uncommon). I've got a couple questions on how to solve this ... even after searching through posts and how to resources. It looks like the leaking is worse when storing the bike on side stand ... from pressure of oil against the seal.

So when I pressed the new seal in with a socket, it went in easily, and in fact the seal actually can turn a tiny bit indicating there is a fairly loose fit.
- Is that generally what you are seeing (loose fit on outer diameter)?
- Do you press the seal all the way in til it hits the bottom of the bore - or just enough so its level with the front edge/case?
- Since the OEM seal has a metal exterior, is a non OEM with a different design something that would work better (ie. maybe one that has a rubber coating on outer diameter)?
- Is putting silicon around the outer edge of seal (after installation) an option? Seems to me it would be hard to seal up unless you are real careful to clean/degrease real well. This was one thread I found that said it worked.

I've measured the seal outer diameter that seems to be right at 20 mm. which leads me to believe my engine case may have been a bit out of tolerance (haven't measured the bore because of access with calipers is limited with shaft in place).

Thanks!

Tony

Post subject: Re: Shifter Seal
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:48 am 

Wrong seal, fit should be a fairly tight interference, not slide in and turn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:03 am 
Site Admin

Fix your side stand. The resting angle should be 12 degrees.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:39 pm 

Thanks guys - i'll give that a look see.
T.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:32 pm 

I yanked the new OEM Mother Kaw seal I had put in and measured it ... 20.0 OD and 10.5 ID ... clearly not going to give any sort of a tight/interference fit on a 20.0 bore.
The replacement seal I installed went in much tighter (it measured 20.2 mm. The ID was at 11.5 or so mm for the 12 mm shaft). Used a 14 mm deep socket to set it all the way to the bottom of the bore. So far no leaks and the outer diameter does not rotate when rotating the shifter shaft ... so I am guessing this is going to be golden.

The bottom line is sometimes the OEM seals are defective ... good thing it was only a few bucks ... but certainly aggravating.

With regards to the lean angle on the side stand ... this bike is suffering of the common worn frame mount which is a bit ovalized and a good mm out of round. Squeezing the side stand in the vise to reduce the play did not help. So I've decided to opt for the 2x4 for now to keep it more vertical until I have the time and energy to fix properly.

The bike is up and running. Its been a fun couple months to get all the leaks and small stuff fixed ... took it for a 10 mile test ride today :thumbup: ... I had forgotten how much fun these are!