Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stubborn cylinder...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:49 pm 

Hey there,

I am this close to admitting defeat against this jug. I've beat on it with oak posts and old broom handles. I heated it up and pounded some more. Sprayed all sorts of penetrating sprays and wd-40 and crap in and on it. Beat it some more. I was able to get the other two (with similar process') but I cannot get this one to budge from the current location.
Crank moves relatively easily; with a limited range of motion that is....

What's the trick to getting this removed? Is there a puller or clamp I could use? Obviously the fins are fragile, so what can get around them?

lastly, I'm on the look out for some cylinder studs. With all the beating, I snapped a few!
Any tips are appreciated!

(edited to fix pictures)

Last edited by brendon11 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Stubborn cylinder...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:49 pm 

I've used 60mm non-kaw "sacrificial" pistons as a beating surface along with my dead-blow hammer to break loose my frozen H1 motor. Keep in mind that you may or may not end up damaging the original pistons (and possibly other parts), but just a suggestion.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:21 pm 

kawi3cyl wrote:
I've used 60mm non-kaw "sacrificial" pistons as a beating surface along with my dead-blow hammer to break loose my frozen H1 motor. Keep in mind that you may or may not end up damaging the original pistons (and possibly other parts), but just a suggestion.

A sacrifice is in order! These pistons are shot. I have no concerns of damaging the originals.
Should a pad the surface between the jug and the engine? Or just beat down??!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:30 pm 

:oops: My mistake - I didn't read your entire dilemma and thought your crank and pistons were stuck as well. My piston remedy won't help your situation...sorry. :cry:

On the subject of cylinder studs, if you've got an H1 then:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VS172G0875-Stehbolzen-12x-Zylinder-VA-Kawasaki-H1-500-KH500-KD-KE-u-A-Repro/273629896635

If H2:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172G1075-KAWASAKI-H2-TRIPLE-CYLINDER-STUDS-STAINLESS-STEEL/152711253168

Now, I've not personally purchased/used these, so I cannot comment on their qualities. Also, BE SURE to double check the part part number's to make sure they are correct.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:07 pm 

Copy that. Thanks for the links.

This motor is actually from an S2... but the more research I do the more that I see the S2 and H2 are close... similar parts and all that...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:58 pm 

If your remaining cylinder IS stuck to the piston when you rotate the crank, then I would position your cylinder flush against the case and then use my suggestion and place a same/similar size piston atop the stuck one, and pound on that. It should do the trick, but use a hefty dead-blow hammer.

Partzilla "shows" that they do in fact carry those cylinder studs PN 172G08115, but I would call or email them to confirm whether they have them in stock, or more likely can order them in an acceptable time frame, after which you can place an order for as many as you need.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motorcycle/1972/mach-ii-s2/crankcase

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:37 am 

Thought I read a post a while back where someone tapped the stud hole and ran a bolt down them sort of a press.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:43 pm 

Have you tried acetone/ATF? Also, if it is the jug not coming all the way up off of the case vs the piston stuck to the jug, reverse the process and beat the jug back down a little then back up while soaking it with the 50/50 mix.

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:02 pm 

Might have been suggested or maybe this won't work for this problem, I admit to not read all the post through well.
If it is the piston just drill holes in the piston until it lets go of the rod, I would think then the rest could be bored out??? maybe??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:03 pm 

triple cranks wrote:
Have you tried acetone/ATF? Also, if it is the jug not coming all the way up off of the case vs the piston stuck to the jug, reverse the process and beat the jug back down a little then back up while soaking it with the 50/50 mix.

As trip says.

cliff