Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:36 pm 

I got to looking at it a bit today. I located the gear and shift fork involved in the shift to 2nd.... I will say this, it is a small throw thats for sure, compared to some of the other changes. The fork involved is not the one that is scored up.
The dogs on that gear that slides to engage 2nd are somewhat worn, at least I can see one looks as if the flat is slanted, it might be my eyes tho. There is a ding on the edge of that same dog that you can see in the 3rd pic below. I need to take the gears off the shaft and lay that gear dog side down on a flat plate and check it out. If there is a way via shimming to land that gear's dogs further into mesh with the one it slides into then that seems like it may help...like I said it is a scant throw.

The fork that is scored up seems to only be involved in 4th and 5th.On every used set I find, this fork is also scored, etc. That may explain why when I first rode the bike years ago, it made a bit of a gear noise in 5th. Never jumped out though, and in the most recent times Ive ridden it, that noise was gone. (Ive had the bike for over 20 years although only had tags on it for about 4 years when I put maybe 1200 miles on it)---

So my plan to buy a used transmission set wont solve my scored fork issue, although I might get some better gears.
I will attach 3 pics, the gear and fork I think are involved in the shift to 2nd, and a close up of one of the dogs on the gear that moves during the switch to 2nd....

Thanks again for the input!!

1972 S2 350, 1972 F9 350 Bighorn, 1975 KX400, 1981 YZ465, 1980 XT500 (Built for MX) , 1987 KD80, 1995 MZ Skorpion, TTR 125, 1994 KDX200 , 1978 Mobylette, 1985 KX350R-F91m (Frankenstein) and a Doodle Bug