Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:28 pm 

So I took the ‘72 H2 to the meet and had a great time seeing everyone, and had a nice 80 mile ride on the H2. This weekend I had the time to mount the new super regulator I got from Jim at the meet and found my injector oil tank was almost completely empty. It was at least 3/4 full when I loaded it for the Gap. Also, I checked my trans oil level and it was down to half way on the stick after making sure it was full before leaving.
My bike sat for about 10 years before I bought it. It has less that 1K miles on the crank the previous owner had rebuilt at Purple Haze. I was hoping I dodged a bullet on dried up crank seals, but maybe not, and possibly leaking oil line check valves too? The bike had the oil injection disconnected and the oil line removed when I bought it.

The bike did run well at the Gap and no one mentioned excess smoke from it. The timing is set with a timing light, and the carbs synced at part throttle.

Mark

The plugs: left - center - right

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1980 Moto Guzzi SP1000
2019 Triumph T100

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:02 am 
Site Admin

I'd recheck carb sync first. Surely all jets are the same in carbs?
The easiest way to make sure check valves are closing is to remove them and hang filled lines upside down (from pump line) overnite. If they drip you need to put new springs & balls in then recheck.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:50 am 

With the transmission oil loss, I would have guessed the black plug is from the right cylinder. Maybe just that check valve is leaking, but to leak enough oil to make the level in the tank go down noticeably I'd expect it to take a lot longer than a few days at the meet.

About how far did you go to use 3/4 of a tank of oil? My H2's oil system is set as the manual specifies, and it averages about a 50:1 ratio.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:31 am 

Jim wrote:
With the transmission oil loss, I would have guessed the black plug is from the right cylinder. Maybe just that check valve is leaking, but to leak enough oil to make the level in the tank go down noticeably I'd expect it to take a lot longer than a few days at the meet.

About how far did you go to use 3/4 of a tank of oil? My H2's oil system is set as the manual specifies, and it averages about a 50:1 ratio.

Hi Jim,
I was surprised at the coloring of the plugs also, I would have thought they were opposite. I rode the bike about 80 miles in one round trip down 28 over to Robbinsville and around back up 129. That’s a lot of oil in a short distance. My pump is set as the manual specifies, and the bike has the updated pump as per the service bulletin. The bike isn’t externally leaking trans or injector oil and remains clean since you helped me get the ignition sorted.
With the weather finally cooling off a bit I really want to continue riding the bike until winter before I pull the injector lines and check the valves. I will recheck the carb jetting and sync then. I did already check and make sure the chokes are closing and the choke cables have some slack. I suppose this is all part of sorting the bike out when getting it back on the road.
Thanks guys,
Mark

1980 Moto Guzzi SP1000
2019 Triumph T100

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:44 am 

Wow, a quart of oil in 80 miles is a ridiculous amount! It went somewhere, but if more than a few tablespoons went into the engine you would have experienced hydrolock when you went to start it next.

Worse than that, 28 to 143 and back on 129 is only 50 miles! Is there any chance that somehow you thought the tank was 3/4 full, but it had much less than that in it?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:03 pm 

Had to be making a LOT of smoke to use that much oil in only 80 miles. anyone ride behind you can verify the left pipe smoking more than the others, or all of them a lot?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:27 pm 

Jim wrote:
Wow, a quart of oil in 80 miles is a ridiculous amount! It went somewhere, but if more than a few tablespoons went into the engine you would have experienced hydrolock when you went to start it next.

Worse than that, 28 to 143 and back on 129 is only 50 miles! Is there any chance that somehow you thought the tank was 3/4 full, but it had much less than that in it?

I did go up and down the dragon first, so maybe 70 miles. I filled the oil tank, aired the tires, gas in the tank just before I loaded the bike to head over that morning.
Mark Haase was behind me on 28 and he didn’t report anything excessive when we stopped to talk.

I might as well pull the carbs, check the jetting and float levels, and hang the oil lines and see if any oil passes the check valves. I don’t want to ride it until I do. I have the GT750 for back-up.
Hmm, maybe it’s all in the bottom end now? I haven’t tried to start it since getting back from the Gap.

Mark

1980 Moto Guzzi SP1000
2019 Triumph T100

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:57 pm 

Oh, then you know not to try until you do a de-oiling of the crankcase chambers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:40 am 
Site Admin

Remember, there are two syncing steps, first sync (equalize) the vacuum, then sync the carb slides.