Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:16 pm 

After long passage of time, losing my personal notes, I'm planning to reinstall the (new) CDI on my '70 H1. Instructions mention the 'blue' wire between the loom and main ignition coil. Wiring Diagrams label 'that' wire as "Light Blue". Has 48 years turned my 'light blue' wire(s) to more light Greenish? How about yours? thx in advance :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:53 pm 

Not sure what new unit you have, one of mine? The blue wire is paired with the black wire with the yellow stripes, on the 2-pin rubber connector. There is only one mating rubber connector in the vicinity of the CDI unit, so if yours has a black/yellow wire and a blue wire of some hue, possibly combined with age-yellowing to make it look greenish, that's the one. To verify, you should be able to follow the blue wire to the coil + or use an ohm meter to check continuity from that rubber connector to the coil +.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:24 pm 

It is one of yours Jim. I was trying to give you a break, as you've fielded many of my questions on personal emails. A couple years ago, I put one of your "Early" boxes on. Ran normal. Almost a year back I put back on my old A and B boxes, storing yours. (<<one of my ignorant tries at trouble-shooting another possible problem?). Pretty sure my old A box has completely failed now (B-box still "BEEEEEPS"), so I will go back (and stay) with your nice 1-piece unit. Will work in garage on Saturday(s), as have read your tips above, plus your instruction sheet, but another question>. My stock wiring loom has a 2-wire connector where 1 of its wires is bare/strands of thin copper, no colored covering. Do I assume this bare one serves as another ground wire? thx again. Mark :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:28 pm 

Do you mean the shielded yellow wire that carries the pickup signal to the CDI unit's yellow and black wires? The bare braid is there to keep RF noise off the pickup wire.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:13 pm 

Did not know the term shielded. I seem to recall the yellow wire you mention. Have more confidence now. Saturday should be a lil smoky once again. thx!