Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Advice on 72 h1b
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:04 pm 

H2R, Thanks for the reply,
I'm lucky I found the H1, an H2 would be near impossible. Put it this way, there is not 1 traffic light in the entire 2300 sq mile county I live in and the cloesest McDonalds is a 150 mile trip. Finding a can of can of Chicken soup around here is hard enough. :( unless you have a h2 you want to trade for my h1? Don't think I can offer enough big Mac's and fries to sweeten the deal either. :lol: JK!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:09 pm 

Jim wrote:
I didn't say deck heads, I said squish heads. You're not going for high compression, but rather a good squish band.

Yes, agreed that an H2 engine makes more sense if you're trying to keep up with modern bikes. With some good porting, big carbs, and other common sense improvements it's not terribly hard to get well into the 80 rwhp range. Optionally reeds will give it 4-stroke-like bottom end grunt.

Use the resource site to find machine shops known for doing good work on triple engines.

Thanks Jim,
Can you define squish heads/squish band? :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:49 pm 

I could give you my interpretation, but you'd be better off reading either the Jennings or Bell tuning books that are on the resource site. The squish band sections are not long or particularly complicated, and are very worth reading. You'll certainly find a lot of other relevant information for your project in either of those books too.

The quick and dirty answer is the squish band is a region where the piston comes close to the head, keeping the mixture cool and delaying combustion in that area, and preventing detonation. But a lot more is going on than that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:46 pm 

Jim wrote:
I could give you my interpretation, but you'd be better off reading either the Jennings or Bell tuning books that are on the resource site. The squish band sections are not long or particularly complicated, and are very worth reading. You'll certainly find a lot of other relevant information for your project in either of those books too.

The quick and dirty answer is the squish band is a region where the piston comes close to the head, keeping the mixture cool and delaying combustion in that area, and preventing detonation. But a lot more is going on than that.

Ok will check it out. Thanks!
Sounds like I'm probably just better off to rebuild and leave as is, put a set of pipes on it, call it done for now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:20 pm 

That's not a bad plan at all, just don't get in any races with anything faster than an FZ-07.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:19 pm 

Jim-
I could not seem locate the Jennings or bell tuning books on the resource site, can you send me a link?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:54 pm 

It's under "manuals", then "additional manual listings". Jennings is obvious, but the Bell book seems to be called "performance tuning".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:39 pm 

Thanks! Will check.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:46 pm 

Jim wrote:
That's not a bad plan at all, just don't get in any races with anything faster than an FZ-07.

No worries, only thing I have to contend with around here is a Harley for the most part. Seen a old school cb550 once, not to long ago. Mostly Harley's tho...... :?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:06 pm 

As I'm tearing into this engine I'm noticing Tell tail signs that someone has been in this engine before. Although I know it's been sitting a while, prior to it going in the barn, someone did some internal work of some sort. Also the top end is clean as hell, heads are almost flawless, no lip in the top of the cylinder, next to no carbon on top of pistons, can still see cross hatches on cylinder walls. Still gonna tear it all down to change seals, check bearings, etc. will post pics, just remembered it kind of a round about way of doing so, instead of uploading directly from my phone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next