Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:47 am 

There's information about winding coils like that on the web. There are only a few things to know, like wire size, number of turns, direction of the winding, and making sure the wire varnish is protected from being cut by the iron pole.

You could try sending the two bad coils to Galaxy Transformer and Magnetics in New Jersey and see what they say they'd want to rewind them. They normally manufacture things in greater quantity I think, but might be reasonable enough for that job.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:31 pm 

New to me Coils are in and making voltage! But reg/rect is only putting out about 8 volts dc to battery. I hooked up a scooter reg/rect and it puts out 17 volts to battery constant. So I guess ill be looking for a new reg/rect

The schematic looks like a 3-phase generator but I'm only seeing 2 yellow wires. Can someone clarify?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:38 pm 

You must have the wrong wiring diagram. There's a correct one for the KH400A3 on the resource site. It shows a single phase alternator output (2 wires) going to the rectifier.

Resource site is here: http://www.kawatriple.com

Where did you get the new coils?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:32 pm 

Ok. Well I've been experimenting with this scooter reg/rect and if I only use 1 yellow wire off the generator I get a constant 14 volts! I just tape off the other yellow wire coming from the generator and it seems like it should work!

New to me coils came from JohnnyO.
Thanks Johnny!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:40 pm 

The charging coils aren't ground referenced, so I don't know how running with one disconnected gives you anything. It implies that one of the coils is shorting to ground, unless I'm missing something.

Is it disconnected from everything, or is it the one that also goes to the regulator, and it's still connected there?

If it were mine, I'd want it to be operating as designed, because an oddball setup would be likely to not be able to supply the rated current, and there's not much extra on these old triples.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:54 pm 

I've got 14 volts dc at the battery, it works for me! Time to ride!

Both coils are connected and the 2 yellow wires test about 40 volts a.c. my stock reg/rect gives me around 8 volts dc at the battery. This scooter reg/rect gives me 20 volts dc at the battery with both yellow wires connected, and gives me 14 volts dc at the battery with 1 yellow wire connected. If it keeps my battery charged I'll live with it.

My KH is nowhere near mint. I planning on riding her hard and enjoying every moment!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:39 am 

If that's the case , your generator is shite! :lol: