Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: H2 shift detent
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:52 am 

My H2B has no shift problems, so just asking. I realize that it is a RH shift mechanism design. Both my Kz1100 and XV750 Yamaha have LH shift mechanisms, so there is no long shift shaft, and they both have very positive shift feel to them, you actually feel the drum detent click through your foot. The KZ has such a detent to it that it can hurt your foot, almost a truck gear box....The H2 has no feedback like that, you upshift and don't get a great feeling, well any feeling at all, that it is actually in gear before you let the clutch out and give it gas. Wondering if I need to put a new shift drum detent spring on it, or is this normal?

Post subject: Re: H2 shift detent
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:07 am 
Site Admin

No, you really don't feel much of a detent when shifting a triple. One thing to do though, is when you shift, keep the shifter in the full up with your foot until you are back on the power. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:49 am 

One of my questions way back also.
Was wondering why we would need an over-shift stop if the detent was set up properly. If set-up correctly, it should feel right and not over-shift or pop outta gear. No? Yes?

cliff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:51 am 

I can tell you that my H2's transmission, which has never been apart since it left the assembly plant in Japan, has always shifted smoothly and has no tendency to overshift or pop out of gear. After riding other motorcycles, the H2 always feels smooth as silk to shift, with short lever travel and light action.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:12 pm 

if I get a screwy start, like I come to a light and pop it into neutral, then the light goes green and while still rolling I quickly click it back into first, it can over shift, I can let the clutch out and get a neutral, which I have found is a false one between first and second. Maybe I need to look at an over shift stop. But when shifted normally, it's all fine, just no detent feel.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:39 pm 

In 39 years of owning my H2, I've never had that happen. I'd guess that something is not quite set up right in yours.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:54 pm 

There is a possibility of under/over shift with the street bike linkage and lever system inside the clutch cover. This was also a possibility in the larger Enduro's, and it stems from the shift stop pin in the center of the shift stop slot on the bottom of the lever inside the trans either being slightly bent, or, not centered in the slot.

A solution was effected on large F series shifters along the way, and transferred by word of mouth back in the day. The stock early stop pins were simply a dowel with threads on one end, and a screwdriver slot in the other. They literally had a nut added to the threads, and were inserted into the lower case, and did two functions, stopped the lever from over shifting, and, held the lever in the center position when at rest. IF any portion of the setup was not correct, shifting could be adversely affected.

The "F9" stop pin was changed to one that had an eccentric end, to add adjust-ability to the centering of the shift lever, so, say, if the hairpin spring didn't let the lever sit dead square in the slot, that pin center in the slot was adjustable to return center to the lever, so the shifting was correct. MOST of the levers that didn't sit centered were offset by the hairpin spring not holding the lever centered. The F9 pin allowed slight adjustment to the spring, to center the lever in the slot.

Over the years, Kawasaki adopted a different shifting setup on some engines, which used an "under and over" lever set. the bottom lever that moved the shift drum was the same as the single lever styles, but the setups used an upper lever that had stop detents in them, to stop the drum from over shifting. The upper claw detents contacted the pins in the end of the shift drum, to positive stop the lever from turning the drum past gear stop, per gear, both directions. This type shift "claw set" was first used on H1R and H2R race shifting systems, to help stop missed shifts in racing situations.

EVERY engine I can fit them to, gets the upgraded "F9" eccentric adjustable stop pin, and I sure would like to see a modified double claw shifting lever for all our engines as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:00 pm 

shift shaft flex ! it happens and cant be fixed.....its a feel, just work with it