Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gearbox dribble
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:27 am 

Fixed. :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Gearbox dribble
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:07 am 

Looks better than upturned hose. Clean.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:35 pm 

Looks like you used JB weld to attach a cover with a small hole near the top, is that correct?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:03 am 

Hawaii-Mike wrote:
Looks like you used JB weld to attach a cover with a small hole near the top, is that correct?

Small hole at the top yes. Goes down to a bigger divot done with a ali burr.
But it’s just stuck there with some silicone, so easy to remove.
If you do one, just make sure you don’t block the hole with silicone. Blow in the filler hole.
It’s funny, this one used to dribble quite a bit. My other 500, not a drop. Odd.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:26 am 

Not odd at all. Either there is a crankcase leak into the gearbox, or, transmission is using some form of extremely thin viscosity snake oil... or, both.

There should not be any pressure in the gearbox/clutch areas. That pressure, and oil vapor are the cause of the oil transfer. Transmission/clutch area oil can also be a factor in excessive vapor buildup/pressure.

Last edited by H2RTuner on Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:37 am 

H2RTuner wrote:
Not odd at all. Either there is a crankcase leak into the gearbox, or, transmission is using some form of extremely thin viscosity snake oil... of, both.

There should not be any pressure in the gearbox/clutch areas. That pressure, and oil vapor are the cause of the oil transfer. Transmission/clutch area oil can also be a factor in excessive vapor buildup/pressure.

Sorry but I have to disagree. Oil is same in both boxes but more so, putting a 10mm rise on the 3mm hole wouldn’t make a rats ass difference if dribble was caused by crank case pressure leak.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:57 am 

Coops, I have 4 triples and when full of xmission oil they will drip a couple of drops out the vent sitting in the garage after a ride. If I run the oil level low at 1200cc verses 1400cc that issue completely stops. At the lower level the oil just barely touches the bottom of the dip stick. Alternately the vent line can be routed up and then down and so it does not drip when full (1.4lt), or you can put a loop in it. To me the drip is a very small thing as so little oil comes out and it usually has nothing to do with engine gas pressure getting into the xmission. The nipple can be turned up if you like, just make sure the plastic tubing does not let water in and is looped down. Hey, your solution seems to work and looks nice enough, so good for you, there are many ways to skin a kat lol.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:50 am 

I posted all that I did from decades of hands-on pressure testing, both when I worked two different departments at Kawasaki, and the other 3Japanese manufacturers, along with Aprilia and Ducati, too.

But, I did what you did, indirectly. ALL my vents went into air/oil separators, all in remote mounted catch tanks that had labyrinth vents in them.

I never skin cats, I just shoot the hell outta problems.