Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Name That Noise
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:55 am 
Site Admin

The acid is only needed if there are aluminum remnants. A quick hone is all that's needed for new rings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWjZ_kteDTk :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:42 am 

Opened it up today , right and center cylinder a bit buggered up.

I dont plan on pulling the bottom end at this point. As for the crank I will look up the side play specs and obviously rotate it to see how smooth it is and pull on the rods to see if they have any play in the big end…pulled on them already and they seem tight...thats all I have ever done and I have seen only one bad crank in my life and it was obvious it was bad ….but is there anything I may need to know or check?
Also I assume I will need new pistons (if two then three for me I guess) I also assume I need to get the bores measured and looked at by someone who can do it correctly (I dont have the tools) to decide what size pistons. Im going to look up Wossner specs hoping to get away with a just a hone but these where wiseco , dont know how much different wossners are.
Any advice anyone has is appreciated! THX
:D
ImageH2 rebuild by Joe Herriges, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:51 am 
Site Admin

Hey, if you are going to do it, do it right! :thumbup: :wtf: The Wiseco's back they asked for .003" clearance. Now it's .0027" same as Wossners. One thing, as I don't remember, those pistons were not coated, I believe. And it looks like you have tons of blowby, if that black on the side is carbon. :wtf:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:56 am 

Oh crap........and 2 of them at the same time??!!!

I think Wiseco pistons tends to be a tiny bit smaller than wøssners. If you are Lucky, you don't need a rebore, only honing and you're good to go after measuring 0.07mm clearance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:19 pm 

The pistons were coated , the coating is gone in some places and still there in others, but the black is the coating.
Everything was nice and oily.
Here is a pic of the heads can you tell how it was burning/jetting from this?? I just dont know enough to be confident but I thought it looked a bit rich.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

The plugs tell the story, the chambers rarely tell much of a story. Now the bottom of the piston can tell a story, They should be brown and shiny.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:30 pm 

A few more photos, the pins in the two that seized where a stubborn VERY stubborn to get out. The center pin took a lot of heat at one point!
Ill look at the underside soon.

ImageUntitled by Joe Herriges, on Flickr
ImageUntitled by Joe Herriges, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

That is usually from removing the circlips. No matter how easy you are on them, they will always pull up a lip of aluminum. After removing the circlip, run a scapel or exacto blade around the outer groove, the pin should slide right out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:41 pm 

demus wrote:
...and pull on the rods to see if they have any play in the big end…pulled on them already and they seem tight...thats all I have ever done and I have seen only one bad crank in my life and it was obvious it was bad ….but is there anything I may need to know or check?

You need to lift up on the rod small end (at TDC) then tap downward sharply (with your fingers), you will feel if there is any play. Just lifting up and down or rocking the rod will not tell you if the bearings are bad, you will feel a "thunk" if it's bad and basically nothing if its good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:44 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
That is usually from removing the circlips. No matter how easy you are on them, they will always pull up a lip of aluminum. After removing the circlip, run a scapel or exacto blade around the outer groove, the pin should slide right out.

I have a round stone that I run around in the circlip groove to remove any burr, then wipe the oil and dust away and the pin comes out like everything was new... :thumbup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next