Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:51 pm 

Good luck, and we'll be waiting. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:16 pm 

Small update, crank has been sent out and waiting for the rebuild. I took a small video of the bearing with the crank removed in case anyone was interested and it looked WAY worse outside the crankcase. :o

https://youtu.be/l6y9nZY1Lkc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:38 pm 

They always do look worse when out in the open. How are the other crank bearings? Is Charlie doing the rebuild? (just curious)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:43 pm 

Jim wrote:
They always do look worse when out in the open. How are the other crank bearings? Is Charlie doing the rebuild? (just curious)

I peaked at the stator side and it was significantly tighter but still had a little but of a wiggle, didn't really check out the inner ones. After I saw that I just kinda chuckled to myself a bit and started packing it up.
And yes, I sent it out to Charlie (I've heard nothing but good things about his work) and *hopefully* I'll have it all buttoned back up in time for the DGR ride in September and some riding before the season ends.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:47 pm 

I don' t know his current workload, but he's normally pretty quick with turnaround.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:45 pm 

You were well on the way to serious crankshaft trouble with that one. Good you found it before it went worse.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

Yep you weren't far off from a big bang theory!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:22 pm 

Hey everyone, almost forgot to repost here!
Charlie took care of my crank, when I got it back in the bike with some new seals everything works perfectly. No more heavy smoke out the right pipe, and the bike feels like it has the right amount of power again.
Thanks again for the help diagnosing everything, would have taken me forever without your help. :thumbup:
Also a thanks to Charlie for taking care of the crankshaft, he had a great turnaround time and everything looks perfect, I would highly recommend him. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:44 pm 

Thanks for the update, Slink. Yes, Charlie is first class.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:27 pm 

"Oddly enough, I actually did this when I did the pressure test"

I point out that a cylinder set can have excellent PRESSURE sealing, and lousy VACUUM sealing, and vice-versa. It takes both tests to tell if there will be a problem, as pressure sealing does not seal the vacuum phase of crankcase function. So, the cylinder set can have great pressure sealing, and leak oil into a lower end from the vacuum side of a seal totally gone.

That is why it is absolutely essential to do both the pressure, AND vacuum tests, 6 lbs for 6 minutes pressure, 6 in/hg of vacuum for 6 minutes, NO LEAKS either way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next