Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:40 am 

rebuild the pump if your certain that your not burning tranny oil , it's an age problem seals in the pumps have reached their expiring date :cry:
It's only a few O rings

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:44 am 

I his first post in the thread, slink6333 said he's certain it is transmission oil.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:55 pm 

Pressure test wouldn't be the test for transmission fluid into engines, the vacuum test would be. Seals work in two different paths.

I tried that sealer mentioned ONCE, that was enough for me, real 1194 works so much better in my experiences.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:52 pm 

yea unfortunately, I'm sure it is transmission oil tankie. I've already ruled out the oil pump.

H2RTuner wrote:
Pressure test wouldn't be the test for transmission fluid into engines, the vacuum test would be. Seals work in two different paths.

I tried that sealer mentioned ONCE, that was enough for me, real 1194 works so much better in my experiences.

Sorry, I didn't specify in the other post, but I did both a pressure and vacuum test. Both test passed with no leaks either direction.
I don't doubt you at all that the three bond is the superior sealer, and I likely will use it to seal the case when I inevitably have to split this again. :thumbup:
But I'm fairly sure that the sealer is not the current problem due to the fact it is passing the pressure / vacuum tests.

Looks like I wont be able to make it out to the garage until to tomorrow to check the play in the crank, but will report back asap.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:06 pm 

Both tests passed, with flying colors, WITH THE ENGINE HOT???????????????, or only cold?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:04 am 
Site Admin

Have you checked the vent hole is clear on the back of the cases?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:50 am 

Another good call, John.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:02 pm 

H2RTuner wrote:
Both tests passed, with flying colors, WITH THE ENGINE HOT???????????????, or only cold?

I did not check with the engine hot, only when it was cold. But when cold, both directions passed with flying colors.

Ja-Moo wrote:
Have you checked the vent hole is clear on the back of the cases?

I'm actually not sure which vent hole you're referring too, but I would love to check this before draining the transmission oil. Any chance you can describe where it is?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:28 pm 

Of course, heat causes expansion, leaks can occur with it, while sealing while cold. 6 in/hg, 6 psi is well in the zone for no cold leaks, leaks when hot.

Transmission vent is on the rear face if the trans case area, just above swing arm, left of chain area. Some are a simple drilled hole, others have a plastic fitting and a hose to atmosphere.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:02 pm 

ok, so the crank case vent was perfectly clear. I pulled the side cover off and got to the crank to try and wiggle it around.

Hes a video, sorry for the shotty camera work. It was a little tough to keep the bike from rocking with the camera hand while putting pressure on the crank.
https://youtu.be/JuwEWtfnF4o

There does seem to be some up/down play, the forward/back didn't seem to budge much.
Is this much cause for concern or the likely culprit? any way I can test to see if this is causing the leak?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next