Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Engine oil filter?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:02 am 

Seems strange there is no filter before the pump. Could I put a inline fuel filter in there? I know late ones have a gauze. This isn't an option for me.
Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Engine oil filter?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:24 am 

because it is supposed to have clean oil in a clean tank with a gauze screen , the system has worked ok for 40 odd years on many different models

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:08 am 

What tankie said, the people who messed with the system, got to mess with the system more......( check the basic gauze filter.) :think:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:51 am 

tankie wrote:
because it is supposed to have clean oil in a clean tank with a gauze screen , the system has worked ok for 40 odd years on many different models

In the 70's at least in 1978 when I bought a KH400 removing the screen was a recommended improvement, I was advised several times by my local Kawasaki dealer to pull that screen out, seems Triple riders were locking up their engines due to a plugged screeen, the screen was too small and too easy to plug, I did not pull my screen but it was advised to get rid of it, my current S3 and H1 have no screen I pulled it out over 5,000 miles so far on the S3 :D

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:16 am 
Site Admin

You really do need the screen, because some how stuff does get in the tank, usually a piece of the seal on the oil bottle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfkChK72S_k

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:55 am 

What we found at Kawasaki back in the early days was that the screen NEEDS to be in place and clean. The main issue with 99 percent of the screen fouling was because owners put just about any and everything that had "OIL" printed on the can or bottle into the tanks, including stuff like Pennzoil 4 stroke oils,

I tis not widely known that a lot of oils with things like additives have those additives that have a basic "grit" in them, Pennzoil especially. The grit is actually solid particles of additives, such as teflon, other solids, which collect on the screens, and stop the oil flow to the pump and engine.

As far as an inline fuel filter in the oil line, I would NEVER go that way, they flow a smaller particle size than the screens do, and plug up far faster than the screens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:41 pm 

This is a Meyers snowplow e47 pump filter, I was going to run this in my S3 but decide to just pull the screen and run nothing, Ive done over 5,000 miles so far , the stock Kawi screen leave a lot to be desire in protecting the engine, the meyers pump filter is tall it would take a lot gunk to plug it up Image

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:59 pm 

Nice. I got some fine brass screen from McMaster-Carr to make filters for petcock tubes. I bet I could roll one up and solder it for the oil filtting too. You're right, it would be much harder to clog that than the low flat stock one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:47 pm 

The Meyers screen is a perfect fit too, I did use a dab of the glue in the pic but in the end I did not use it, todays oil is clean nothing to worry about :think: . BTW Yamaha RD don't have a screen and I think the same can be said for Suzuki :|

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:27 pm 

Key word in all that is "PUMP", under pressure to push a liquid through it.

Oil tank to oil pump is GRAVITY FEED< and the only real "pressure" developed in that line comes from the actual weight of the oil in the tank, not from a positive pressure pump.

I'm still going to hold out for the stock screen and NO inline filter, has worked well for me on so many bikes.

And, as I said before, not a lot of grit in any two stroke oils of late, so, clean tank, clean oil, tank vent properly serviced and open, gravity feed with no inline filter shouldn't be an issue.