Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:47 am 

Let's look at leverage ratio. A bar, say 1 inch long, with a swivel point on one end, and pull points varied say one half the length of the bar. Half way hole moves the bar through a fixed arc just so far for a given distance. Moves a spiral say, .075.

Now, with the pull point at the long length, the bar actually moves through the arc farther than the 1/2 length, much farther than the shorter pull. The longer arc then moves the spirit farther than the 1/2 length, because the pull end of the bar now moves farther.

This way, the at rest point of the lever pull cable holder will actually sit lower in the case area, and the cable pull with be considerably longer a distance.

Ron, easy way to increase the lever length. Fab up an extension bar for the lever, two screws to hold it to the lever, add cable clevis to the end of the extension, on the inner side or the lever, more clearance from the case for the cable holder, longer lull distance, easier release, longer push distance, better leverage ratio.

That's the way I have done it since I worked with Yvon, and have always advocated lengthening the lever on all releases, these last 45 years or so.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:24 am 

H2RTuner wrote:
Let's look at leverage ratio. A bar, say 1 inch long, with a swivel point on one end, and pull points varied say one half the length of the bar. Half way hole moves the bar through a fixed arc just so far for a given distance. Moves a spiral say, .075.

Now, with the pull point at the long length, the bar actually moves through the arc farther than the 1/2 length, much farther than the shorter pull. The longer arc then moves the spirit farther than the 1/2 length, because the pull end of the bar now moves farther.

A cable that moves a particular distance will turn the shaft more if the lever is shorter. In an extreme example, a lever that's a yard long would hardly turn the shaft at all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

Jim is correct. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:24 pm 

Ok, then, this isn't a discussion, explain just why doing the lengthening has worked flawlessly, on all sorts of releases, for over 45 years.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:31 pm 

I assume it's because the desired result was less lever force and better modulation, as opposed to needing more clutch rod travel.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

easy illustration :thumbup: The closer the cable pull is to the pivot, the less movement necessary for the same amount of movement at the pivot.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:52 pm 

Please do not assume, as this works, has for four and a half decades, and, it does increase push rod travel, when done correctly.

I also ALWAYS run all 5 Barnett springs, I do not believe in mix and match springs, 3 of these, 2 of those, just doesn't work as it should for me, and to move the cable clevis inward, is to not have the clutch work at all, versus having it work better than stock, with a reasonable lever pull feel.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:18 pm 

When I get stuck on a problem it's good to post it here so I can get more ideas of things to try. After building at least 2 dozen
of these motors I have never had a problem with the clutch till this bike. So I learned something new to look for on the next one.
Always good to learn something new even at my age. Dave, Jim, and John, you have all helped me find solutions to problems on
these stupid bikes.

Last month it was Barry with his trans problem, we have all been there, trying to find what is causing a problem. He had it sorted by the
time I had a look at it. Good to get a second set of eyes on something.

So to change the subject, has anyone owned a Ducati S4RS? Thinking about getting one for a everyday bike. I partial to the stacked
exhaust, reminds me of a RGV :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:08 pm 

67lotus49 wrote:
I partial to the stacked exhaust, reminds me of a RGV :)

Sort of also like the new Indian Scouts.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:58 am 

How about we give the info for all to consider, then let them figure out what works for them. Works for me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next