Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: leaky base gasket.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:14 pm 

Hi did a pressure test with soapy water and one of the base gaskets, maybe two is leaking at transfer port area.
So gotta fix them. Just wondering if there is a best practice for fitting them?
Last time I used yamabond 4 on the gaskets. the engine hasn't been run. I suspect the barrel base surface isn't that flat. I suppose I could take the high spots off in the lathe? Or at least check for flatness in the lathe.

Post subject: Re: leaky base gasket.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

It's really rare for those surfaces would not be flat, unless pried upon. And case sealer acts as a lubricant, so the gaskets will slide.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:11 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
It's really rare for those surfaces would not be flat, unless pried upon. And case sealer acts as a lubricant, so the gaskets will slide.

Yes, I thought about that when I pulled it down as the gasket looks slightly larger than before I pulled it down :lol:
Next ones will go in dry.
Surfaces haven't been pried upon. The reason I think it may not be flat is when I measured the overall barrel lengths for decking, the measurements were quite inconsistent. So either the top or bottom wasn't flat. I had 1mm removed from the top when they were bored.
Never touched the bottom.
No Worries, il sort it. Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:46 pm 

I put Never-Seez on the top of mine, and EZ Turn fuel lube (gasoline resistant grease) on the bottom. The EZ Turn is pretty sticky stuff, and the gaskets didn't try to squirt out. I've been able to pop a cylinder off to inspect the piston without changing the gasket, just a very light new coat of Never-Seez.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:25 am 

YamahBond 5 on the jug. Let it set firm.
Anti-seize on case side.

Gasket will not move.
Easy removal of jug without scraping gasket.
Re-useable.

BTW YB 4 is crap softens and expands 5x in gasoline.
YB 5 is solvent based and stiffer. Will not swell or soften in fuel.

my 2 sense-cliff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:43 am 

Thanks for the opinions.
Going to stick a dial gauge on them anyways. Probably then a tool. Then probably dry.
Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:41 am 

Hurley made a dressing tool he used on his cylinders, it was a simple thick piece of 1 inch thick aluminum that was lathe cut into a donut shape, with machined flat face, then get glued sanding paper to the machined face. This ring would fit against the base gasket surface and get rotated. Worked well.

Erv Kanemoto used to use a sharp tipped center punch to gently add "dimples"to the base gasket surfaces of both case and cylinder.

I built a holding fixture for my lathe that indexes the barrel from the center line of the bore to cut the gasket base true and flat. I leave the surfaces dry for install.

There is a considerable difference in the actual brands and materials of gaskets as well, some seriously better than other company's​ gaskets. I make most of my own special tools, and made a set of base gasket cutting dies to make my own. I used to have an old neighbor that owned a specialty gasket company for old car engine stuff. Helps a lot to have neighbors like that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:17 am 

H2RTuner wrote:
Hurley made a dressing tool he used on his cylinders, it was a simple thick piece of 1 inch thick aluminum that was lathe cut into a donut shape, with machined flat face, then get glued sanding paper to the machined face. This ring would fit against the base gasket surface and get rotated. Worked well.

Erv Kanemoto used to use a sharp tipped center punch to gently add "dimples"to the base gasket surfaces of both case and cylinder.

I built a holding fixture for my lathe that indexes the barrel from the center line of the bore to cut the gasket base true and flat. I leave the surfaces dry for install.

There is a considerable difference in the actual brands and materials of gaskets as well, some seriously better than other company's​ gaskets. I make most of my own special tools, and made a set of base gasket cutting dies to make my own. I used to have an old neighbor that owned a specialty gasket company for old car engine stuff. Helps a lot to have neighbors like that.

That's a great idea H2R (donut thingy) I might just do that.
Ive ordered 6 NOS gaskets.
Thanks ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:47 am 

I used rubberized / aluminum base gaskets dry with no issues.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:43 am 

So I did the donut thingy, Worked very well.
The barrel bottoms weren't that flat. All receding one side of the transfers. But only a few thou.
The area that was leaking (corner of a transfer) looked like a P.O had dropped the jug and was dented.
So I used some J B weld on that area (first time ive ever used the stuff) then lapped it with donut.
Should be all good.
Of coarse all this should've been done at beginning of engine build, not end of engine build. but never mind.
I am happy with it.