Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:17 pm 

I am going to convert to an EX Caliper on my 74H2B and have a couple of questions, I would like to keep it on the left side (already had my BT45V tire mounted on my nice new EXCELL rims, don't want to have to flip the tire around) , I also have a stock thickness but drilled PHR rotor, looks like it has some kind of metallic coating, looks like nickel or something (probably harder)

1) It looks like on ebay, there is a left side and a right side EX500 caliper (unless I am seeing things), I suppose I would need the one with the larger piston towards the front and the bleeder on the top for the left side mounting ?

2) Jim (which one, Jim, Jim C or Jim H) sells the MOO plate bracket kit, I want to buy one.

3) Is it OK to use my stock 9/16 master cylinder (I just rebuilt it and would like to keep it) and stock brake switch...(I also have two braided hoses, but for a stock brake)......Moo says that a 1/2 is ideal actually for the EX (thought I read that anyways)

4) What is the best brand of Brake Pad to use for my type of disk (coated)

5) Do you guys usually rebuild them (seems wise as I had a lot of gunk in my old master cylinder)

5) Whats the best brake fluid to run in them.

Thank You All for your Time and Info....Phil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

There is a clearance problem with the speedo cable with it on the right. You need to find a longer one. A 9/16s master will have a "dead" feel, not good, but useable. EBC HH pads are the best, not sure what will happen with a "coated" disc though. And yes, the big piston should be the trailing piston.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:04 pm 

10-4 Moo, then I will look for a complete Master Cylinder and Caliper setup for the EX system when I get on flea Bay, makes sense

THX Phil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

OOPS, the clearance problem is when it's on the LEFT......... :banghead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:53 pm 

I wouldn't expect a cable length problem if the caliper is mounted ahead of the fork slider like stock.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

that's true, I just expect them to be mounted on the back........ :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:42 pm 

Jim C, Moo

thanks for the info, I will probably mount it in front on the left side then and have a stainless braided hose made up with the 15 or 20 degree bend at each end and use the new EX master cyclinder and the EX Caliper, rig up a brake switch connector out of the new master cylinder down to the existing harness.

Is this the Jim that sells the Moo Plate Bracket Kit ?, if so PM me.

THX Phil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Keep in mind that most EX masters have a switch built in that enables you to bypass the triple's pressure switch. This can take out a little of the "sponginess". However, the EX master may not include a mirror mount.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:24 pm 

Phil, I prefer emails because I can keep them organized easier than PMs. My email address is in my avatar. If you would like ordering information about the adapters, it's in the vendor's section of this board: http://www.kawi2strokes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1557

Postage has probably gone up a little since I wrote that, but I still charge actual postage cost only.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:35 pm 

Maxrl,

I am OK with the mirror mount as I have pro bars on it and am using the mirrors that go in the end of each handlebar........Thats good info, I will see if I can find a master cylinder with a switch built into it.

Jim, I will send you an email now

Thanks Phil