Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Oil pump quandry
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:34 pm 

I'm in the final stages of my 71 H1 rebuild. Yes, it's been 5 1/2 years since I started. 5 years of collecting parts and 6 months at a new house with a 3rd car garage being used as a shop (no shop at the previous house). I had Darth rebuild my oil lines a couple of years ago. Doing a bench test to make sure the oil pump works and the lines put out the proper amount. Everything has gone well (after stopping leaks, getting rid of air in lines etc...). Amounts were correct with the manual and all were the same except the shortest line produced just a fraction less. My question is this. To test the pump on a bench, I hooked a drill to the tach cable which in turn was screwed into the right side case as normal. The cable turns the gears inside the case which turns the oil pump. I know you all know this but I wanted to tell you all how I did it. Oil flowed, all is good. Except... When the engine is kicked over the oil pump drive gear on the crank goes forward, not backward. That causes the gear in the case to go left forward, not right forward when looking into the right hand case from behind. When I mimic this same direction by using the drill on the cable the oil pump does not work. I.e. using the drill in reverse. When I switch the drill to forward the oil pump works fine which is as if the engine is running backwards. I am baffled. Obviously I'm missing something. Sorry about the long novel.

Post subject: Re: Oil pump quandry
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:53 pm 

When your motor is running, the tach boss is turning clockwise and the pump boss is turning counter-clockwise (as looking from the top of the engine (see picture). Whatever you do, don't let the pump turn in the wrong direction :shock:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:49 pm 

That's the trouble, Jay... from his post he said he definitely turned it both ways. I've never done it, but I've heard it's bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:23 pm 

Thanks for the correct info. I did run the cable the wrong way for about 5 sec. As soon as the air in the line moved the wrong way I stopped. I proceeded to test the pump the correct way and the 3 lines metered out correctly so I'm assuming I didn't damage the pump.