Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My lesson on premixing
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:25 pm 

Periodically my H2 has had this issue with plug fouling and poor running. There's a pattern, I just didn't put it together until today.

Here's a common example. I'm out riding, stop at the gas station, put premix oil in the gas tank, fill up, continue riding and the bike dies. Bike doesn't want to run, needs choke, smokes a lot, clears out eventually, change the spark plugs, things get back to normal.

I used to think the problem was due to riding around with the guys at small throttle openings and loading up the plugs. Now I know otherwise.

Today I'm riding with clear fuel lines! I poured the oil in the gas tank, filled up, striving to aim the gas nozzle at the back of the gas tank to mix the gas. Getting on the bike, I looked at the fuel lines and they were solid red! That is, they looked like they were full of oil with not much gas.

The bike has a Pingel petcock. Maybe with a vacuum petcock the heavy concentration of oil wouldn't go down the fuel lines when the bike is sitting. Alarmed, I was also prepared for what might happen. And it did. I started riding, the bike bogged, it was smoking but it still needed the choke (plenty of oil, not enough gas). I stopped and changed the plugs, started it several times and tried to ride. The choke was required to keep the bike going. Once I got on an uncrowded street and was able to open it up without a stoplight, the oil cleared out and things went back to normal.

Maybe this wouldn't have happened if I had shut off the petcock. To play it safer, in the future I'll fill the tank at least halfway, then put the oil in and fill up to mix the oil and gas.

The scenario has happened at least four or five times over the four years I've owned it. Hopefully today's event was the last!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:29 pm 

Hawaii-Mike wrote:
Maybe this wouldn't have happened if I had shut off the petcock.

It definitely wouldn't happen if you were to set up the stock oiling system. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:04 pm 

I have the oil pump, lines etc. I believe the crank doesn't have the oil receivers and someday plan to take the motor apart, change the crank and add the oil pump.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:51 pm 

The receivers only force the oil to the big end, an important detail yes, but you would still get proper oil mixing without them, and the main bearings would still get the oil lube. Plus the other half of the oil gets injected into the carb mount.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:28 pm 

I'm thinking your tank was darn near empty :think: , back in the late 70's I always road my RM's big distances to the riding sites with a small bottle of pre mix oil that I would add the same way as you did just dump it in at the pump and add gas, never a hitch but if the tank is empty and valve open I can see your situation happening, no harm done not a biggie :arrow:

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:44 pm 

DGA wrote:
Plus the other half of the oil gets injected into the carb mount.

Well, the intake tract or the carb bowl, depending on the year. I was thinking the same thing, but don't have any experience in this area.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:48 am 

Adding the oil first is the issue and I've witnessed worse outcomes than what happened to you. Fill the tank with gas, then add the oil and shake.
An alternative is to add it while you are pimping as well.

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:15 am 

Walms wrote:
An alternative is to add it while you are pimping as well.

Just don't let her see you :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:25 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:32 am 

If the rods are slotted Mike, you should be fine without the oil receivers when going back to the oil pump. It is probably ok if they are solid as well but not ideal. I kind of like the idea of leaving the slingers off if slotted rods are installed so you have the option of going to pre-mix if desired.

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"