Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:17 pm 

Didn't Dave mention if the bike fell over on the kickstand side it could damage something related to shifting problems? I can come by Friday, Saturday, Sunday
or Monday Barry. Let me know if you need any parts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:37 pm 

To do it the way you were in the videos, you have to stop one of the shafts from turning. If both shafts turn, it'll never align the shift dogs on the gears. That is why I said to use something to lock one of the shafts during the test. Easiest way is with a third hand holding the input shaft still.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:39 pm 

67lotus49 wrote:
Didn't Dave mention if the bike fell over on the kickstand side it could damage something related to shifting problems? I can come by Friday, Saturday, Sunday
or Monday Barry. Let me know if you need any parts.

I'm helping my son move Friday - but Sat or Sun works!

PS - bike has never fallen over. Not standing still anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:40 pm 

H2RTuner wrote:
To do it the way you were in the videos, you have to stop one of the shafts from turning. If both shafts turn, it'll never align the shift dogs on the gears. That is why I said to use something to lock one of the shafts during the test. Easiest way is with a third hand holding the input shaft still.

hummm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:18 pm 

That's why I suggested using a bottle cap clamp, one of those that have a band to go around a cap, then tighten up. If both shafts spin during the test you are doing to get the gears engaged, they will usually never engage, because the dog ends simply butt up against each other, they then spin together.

I am sure you have felt that happen, I saw it in your test video.

Humor me, please, give it a try.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:53 pm 

I re-read your post about the strap -- it took me a minute to get my mind around it. I strapped the Primary like you said and just spun the output shaft - same thing, it just seems to not complete a selection in various places, inconsistent where and if going up or down. It seems not to fully move the drum enough.

NOTE: with the Primary strapped and NOT using the shaft/pawl I can go though all the gears turning the drum manually no problem rocking the output shaft.

So I think we can rule out anything with the drum or guide pins.

Revelation: I've tried loosening things like the plate around the drum (holder?) and such including the "lever, gear change drum part #13168-012" (the one that locks each step in the drum - rides along the pins...

Well I just took that off completely and using Dave's strap method I can easily move through the gears. Upon inspection (drum roll please..............) I found nothing obvious - not bent, no noticeable wear that I can see.... I'll take a pic and post. I did see a pattern when shifting UP the end of this would seem to get "stuck" on a pin - like it's not big enough for the pin to slide under it - pin hitting the tip of this. Enough Jiggling with the pawl hitting it a few times can usually get under it - but not always...

But it definitely shifts up and down without it.

This is the end that seems to get "stuck" and a pin can't push past it. Just bought a NOS one on eBay. Not sure this is the real issue or not but for $15 bucks I'll try it.

Last edited by BarryB on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:05 pm 

Sounds like your close to the problem cause Barry :thumbup: Post a picture of the screw that you where using for that part Barry.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:30 pm 

Look like this one Barry, you need anything in this photo?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:42 pm 

That's it Ron. I can't believe a little wear on this lever is the cause --- we'll see. NOS one might be here by saturday! I found NOS pins too - on the way.

But all those lever you have look like mine!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:49 pm 

I can bring all those little parts so just in case you need something else. Frontier only charges $35 per carry-on, per person each way. Going to pack it to exactly
the 35lb limit :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next