Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:55 pm 

Also, more. Take a look at the boss that pawl bolt threads into very closely. Of course, it should have a machined boss on it that the bolt tightens against. IF that bolt has been over tightened, it can literally dig a small relief into the boss, allowing the bolt to sit into the boss farther. When that happens, clearance for the pawl is reduced, and in some cases of shifting I'll, causes problems when the pawl binds from reduced bolt boss distance.

I think I'd install the pawl with no spring on it, and make sure it swivels freely.

YES, there is a away to fix it, easily.

Yup, there is a lot more to it than just mashing down on the shift lever.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:45 am 

67lotus49 wrote:
I can bring all those little parts so just in case you need something else. Frontier only charges $35 per carry-on, per person each way. Going to pack it to exactly
the 35lb limit :lol:

$89 flight ---$250 in extras. Bring what you think Ron, I have the new shift shaft, ordered new lever and pins....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:44 am 

Frontier and most airlines run such a scam. The 89$ flight doesn't include your seat, luggage, tax and fees or anything. For two tickets in came to
over $500 :banghead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:50 am 

67lotus49 wrote:
Frontier and most airlines run such a scam. The 89$ flight doesn't include your seat, luggage, tax and fees or anything. For two tickets in came to
over $500 :banghead

I know - we travel a lot and watch the discount carriers - they're not always the best value --- BUT --- if you're booking late they usually are cheaper regardless of extra costs. If you book weeks in advance the major carriers have comparable costs -- but even they charge for checked bags etc. So it's a balancing act every time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:19 pm 

Might have solved the problem - NOS Shift-shaft (with pawl) new rocker and pins.... installed these NOS parts individually made no difference --- install all of them and now shifts.... Hummmm..... Ron (67lotus49) is coming over this morning --- I'll get his eyes and thoughts on this. More later.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:15 am 

I think we can call this The Perfect Storm.

The Lever and Pins came Friday... Replacing with NOS parts Shift Drum Pins, Shift Shaft/Pawl assembly and Rocker Lever I can now go all UP and Down through the gears without it getting stuck.
(Dave's Strap idea helps too). Highly recommend doing this.

Even though none of my original parts show any wear or issues replacing them ALL did the trick.(Thank you Ron for double checking them :thumbup: ) It was great meeting you yesterday.

When replacing them individually the transmission would hang/not fully shift/move the drum enough....

New Lever - original shift shaft and pins = no good.
New Shift Shaft - original Pins and lever = no good.
New Pins - original lever and shaft = no good.
ETC...

Replacing them all = works perfectly. :banghead :wtf:

The real test will be riding under load and I'll probably have it back together this weekend.

Stay tuned.
bb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:02 pm 

Just did a few loops around the block shifts just fine no problem so far will keep you posted.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:45 pm 

Sounds like you got it Barry!!!

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:12 pm 

That's interesting - it seems all of the components being slightly worn, added up to create a much bigger problem

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:01 am 

Zambia wrote:
That's interesting - it seems all of the components being slightly worn, added up to create a much bigger problem

This is actually the story of my Life....... :|
(Hope Barry has got it sorted!!!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next