Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: h2 transmission question
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:48 pm 

whilst changing from first to second gear i get a miss shift /false neutral if i put a bit of presure on the gear lever it will go in to gear it dosent jump out of any gear also when changing down i get this miss shift /false neutral could this be due to slop in the gear linkage or a weak spring on the gear lever shaft

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:52 am 
Site Admin

Shifter slop is always a factor. The spring no so much. Those gear dogs get beat up a lot. Get the slop out, and the actual correct way to shift these bikes, is to lightly load the shift lever to take out the slop. shift, and keep the lever up with your toe until the clutch lever is all the way out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:28 am 

Take a look on the resources site, H series service bulletin on shifter stop pins, one is set (and probably bent), the other is adjustable eccentric outer diameter to adjust stop of the lever both ways).

If the bike ever fell over on the shifter side, it is quite possible the stop pin was bent during the encounter, upwards, allowing the shift claw to be offset in the direction of up shift. This would make it a bit harder to downshift easily. Either way, the pin to stop relationship is critical to getting the claw centered on the shifter drum pins in neutral.

Also, with shifter linkages between the short and shift levers, if they are set to the point the linkage hits a pipe, or other obstruction, shifting on one direction can be adversely effected, along with worn shift linkage/pins.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:36 pm 

Thanks for the replys I have now found the source of my problem on the clutch side there is a plate with a spring and is held in with a woman stepped bolt when the bolt was done up tight it would not select propley but if i backed the bolt of a bit i could then select all the gears I've now fitted anouther plate and bolt and tightened it up and can now select all gears went for a gentle ride and all is good up and down the gear box thanks again
Simon