Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:15 pm 

Ain't having lots of spare time just dandy for fun projects. You'll get it dialed, in no time, sir.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:16 am 

Demons tenatively exorcised. Apparently the switch I changed out was bad and the battery was very low. I took the knob and spring that were broken off of the bad switch and installed them in my original.switch and plugged everything back in and it all started working. My ignition switch was also intermittent dry and hard to turn. I put a dribble of graphite lockube on the key and all appears to be well. I have to rewrap the harness and reassemble everything but that will be another day... more to follow. RZ on.the lift rear wheel off. Headed to the bike shop now...

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:49 pm 

Honestly I think I misdiagnosed it from the beginning. I think the battery is weak. I know it is old. After I swapped the headlight power switch guts and got everything to come on I held the brake lever and then the pedal down for over a minute each while feeling in the harness for heat with the trickle charger hooked up and nothing heated up anywhere. I think what I initially percieved as a short was low voltage from the large draw of the brake light curcuit making all the lights go dim, then out. The fuse never blew. It remains to be seen if everything works after the harness is rewrapped and everything put back where it goes. I know my ignition switch is not optimum and put in a query for one...

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:24 pm 

Interesting thread. I went to Jim's no battery ignition system/cdi few years ago and never looked back. Something to think about going forward when an upgrade is in your future.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:30 pm 

My local store in Winchester VA where I buy my farm stuff has a motobatt agm in stock. http://www.batterymart.com
I have had the radio shack alarm battery thats in there now for 5 years. I like a battery vs a capacitor/eliminator. I will snag the battery tomorrow before work time permitting. If not I will pick it up on my next break....

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:44 pm 

Trickle charged the radio shack alarm battery that has been in there for 5 years all night and today everything continues to work as advertised. I ordered a new AGM Moto-Batt from my local Battery Mart after being informed they consider a battery to be "in stock" if it is in thier system as available and it is scheduled to be delivered on Friday. Sunday morning I will install it and then focus my attention on rewrapping the harnesses and reassembling the headlight bucket. Then on to a test ride... Keep.fingers crossed. I hate electrical demons.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:05 pm 

I've seen a lot of batteries, all kinds, go into a surface charge mode as they are getting near their service life limit. they seem to hold a charge well, but, whenever a serious load is placed on them, they degrade extremely fast, then, when the load is removed, they seem OK. Makes people think it isn't the battery, when it actually is. Not easy to find, need to do a serious regular charge, then load test them. I use a load tester here in my shop to do that, helps find the bad batteries before going through the hassles on vehicles, but, not fool-proof.

since our bikes don't have electric starters, surface charge issues aren't as easy to find, and, the one system that is the biggest cause of drain and load is the brake light, a carefully resisted dead short to ground. Think of how much more fun it could be, when the brake light bulb has two filament loads inside it to light off.

I'm glad you are getting a handle on it, and figured out.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:37 pm 

Thanks I hope I have it fixed...

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:55 pm 

H2RTuner wrote:
I've seen a lot of batteries, all kinds, go into a surface charge mode as they are getting near their service life limit.

Yes Dave, the newer bikes are even worse. My Harley is electric start only as many new bikes so I don't even screw around and replace it every 5 years even with a trickle in the winter. My DT400 is the last one with an acid battery - itty bitty 6V but like all the other DTs I've owned when the battery gets weak it starts blowing headlight bulbs so every couple of year I just order a new Nxxxfhfhfhf battery and be done with it.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:18 pm 

Tim, a brain storm hit me, to test. If we assume that the battery is getting sub standard, and it is doing what yours might. I suggest connecting a battery charger to the battery, probably not a trickle charger, but, if that is all that is available, then, try the light. If it gets better than without the charger, battery is failing. Make any sense??

Just a thought.