Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:48 pm 

Pulled Phoenix off the lift to park it in another place in the shop so the RZ can go on the lift. Fired 2nd kick. All lights go out when you pull the brake lever or mash the brake pedal. I am out of time to troubleshoot much further. Dead short to one of the brown power wires in the harness and or the headlight switch. The neutral light and high beam indicator go real dim, then out, then in 10 seconds or so they come back bright after you let go of the lever or lift up the pedal. Un hooking either brake light switch has no effect only if both are unhooked or the tail light is unplugged.The headlight switch I installed is also suspect as the high beam indicator and neutral light flicker when I move the wires around. I unplugged it and it still does it so I have more than one problem. Better to know it now than on the Dragon...unplug tail light and all works except headlight, which may be blown from the short, no more time to test today. I will probably end up bringing the truck now and all 3 bikes. The RD is ready. Ignition and running are unaffected. :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
I hate electrical problems because they make me stupid. Mark told me to bring it if I can't figure it out and he will...

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:53 pm 

I'm not an electrical guru but it sounds like a ground wire has too much resistance. Bad contact.

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:59 pm 

We used to see a lot of early H1's short to ground when the rear brake light switch shorted internally down the pull spring. Only did it when the switch was engaged by using the brake pedal. I would think the same can happen to the front switch as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:11 pm 

Mine has the ex 500 brake switch on it hooked up to the factory brake pressure switch wires. I disconnected and touched the wires together on both switches which should have taken the switch being bad out of the loop. I did this separately and together. I know the headlight switch I installed is bad. I have enough stuff between the one I took off for a broken on off knob and this one to make one good one. But it isnt gonna fix the brake light issue because I can unplug the headlight switch completely from the harness and both or either brake light switch does the same thing.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:50 am 

too bad and usually electrical demons are typical from Bimota factory, not usual on K triple.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:12 am 

Silly thought, but not unheard of....taillight bulb could be the shorted part.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:17 am 

I just remembered, some situations can arise with a partial short over loading the brake light circuit. Also, if the battery isn't in top shape, the tail light amperage load can overcome the battery's ability to power up the light load. Sounds strange, but it does happen, even with engine running.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:04 am 
Site Admin

You may have two issues.
The brake light issue could be taillight wire at a grommet shorting to frame or at the socket... it's happened before.
Both the front pressure switch and the rear switch have been a source of problem but if it happens with either it is more likely a problem at the taillight.
The headlight sounds like a problem I had... turned out to be a pushed pin in one of the connectors behind the headlight.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:09 am 

I will look at it some more later if time permits. I have to take the Bridal Unit to her rheumatologist appointment this morning and then we have to go air conditioner shopping as we have a big window unit that is on its last legs for the front of the house. I dont see any more trouble shooting happening today. Tomorrow before work I need to get the RZ on the lift and get the rear wheel off and get it to the shop for the tire and tube install. Then I have to change the chain and sprockets and detail it. Then it is on to prepping tractors and hay cutting equipment. I may not get back to the Phoenix in which case it will get fixed at the Gap....

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:11 am 

Thank you all for your suggestions.... :D :D :D