Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:17 pm 

Hey guys,
I did some searching "bad iggy" ect... but nothing matched.

73 H1D properly maintained.
Bike runs great - however - sometimes it's difficult on a cold start - when it gets running all three firing however it smells rich (and some backfires) and won't idle. Nothing has changed - been reliable on long trips. A while back I posted thinking it was a bad coil but It hasn't acted up since then. Today I spent 3 hours unplugging and cleaning all the iggy - coil - battery - fuse and ground connections. New plugs - carbs clean ect... It' strange because bike runs great and then like a light switch it acts up. Tomorrow it will probably run normal. btw - fresh Sunoco gas - same as in a my vehicles.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:30 am 

Does sound like an electrical /grounding fault

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:59 am 

Analogtriple wrote:
Hey guys,
I did some searching "bad iggy" ect... but nothing matched.

73 H1D properly maintained.
Bike runs great - however - sometimes it's difficult on a cold start - when it gets running all three firing however it smells rich (and some backfires) and won't idle. Nothing has changed - been reliable on long trips. A while back I posted thinking it was a bad coil but It hasn't acted up since then. Today I spent 3 hours unplugging and cleaning all the iggy - coil - battery - fuse and ground connections. New plugs - carbs clean ect... It' strange because bike runs great and then like a light switch it acts up. Tomorrow it will probably run normal. btw - fresh Sunoco gas - same as in a my vehicles.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance.

These symptoms are the same that i have had on my H2 in the past.
Use non-resistor plug caps. Resistor plug cap when they start to fail cause starting & running problems.
Earth ( ground ) wire from stator broken ? check it.
Check resistance values of the ignition charge coils in the stator.the low speed coil will cause your problems.
Also check these coils with a `Megger` for leakage to earth (ground),there should be no reading for this test.
Fit extra earth (ground) wires between engine & frame.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:41 pm 

I had a similar issues several years ago. It turned out to be corrosion in the kill switch. I unplugged the switch and everything worked great. I eventually disassembled and cleaned the switch. Problem has not returned in years. Because it was intermittent, it took a while to locate. Good luck.

75 H1
78 CB400II Hawk
78 KE175

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:42 am 

Thanks for the ideas - I will make time this weekend to resolve this and post the results.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:01 am 

It's been a busy couple of months and I've done everything mentioned in this thread - except disconnect the ignition switch. I even re-cleaned and tightened all the connectors like we do with old tube amp pin sockets. However - I cannot figure out how to properly "disconnect/bypass" the ignition switch on this 73 H1D - anyone know??? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:01 am 

To bypass the ignition switch, unplug the black and white wire at the smallest of the four ignition units.

You could have a failing low speed magneto coil. Measure the resistance between the green and white wires of the 3-pin alternator plug. It should be somewhere around 200 ohms.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:44 am 

oops - I meant "kill switch" not ignition switch - any difference?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:16 am 

No difference, unplug the black and white wire, and be aware that when you do that, neither the ignition switch nor the kill switch will stop the engine. Also, there's several hundred volts on the end coming from the ignition rectifier, so make sure the female bullet connector's insulation in in place.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:34 pm 

Hi Jim
Low speed measured at 181 ohms - please check your email.