Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: TM34 Jetting
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:35 am 

Here's what new. I ordered:

- 6DH3 needles
- P-5 needle jets.

NOTE TO SELF AND ANYONE ELSE WORKING ON TM34'S. These carbs use 389 series needle jets! I spaced out and ordered 159 series. Ordered 389 P-4 and returned the 159 series. Niche Cycle tells me they will give me a full refund since I didn't use the needles and messed up. Waiting on the refund.

Back to carb fun. The left carb would not clear the crankcase after I trimmed the main jet nut at the bottom of the float bowl. "Trimmed" the crankcase above the countershaft to clear the float bowl and actually cut a hole in there. Wish I hadn't done that, too late now! Barry tells me his TM's fit with no problem. My TM's definitely wouldn't fit without crankcase trimming. At least you can't see the hole when the carb is installed.

With 6DH3 needles, P-4 needle jets, 40 pilots and 240 mains, the bike starts up and runs reasonably at lower throttle settings. Very rich with the clip at the center of the needle. I dropped the needles a notch to #2 from the top. Ran better, still rich. Went out on the highway, rich in the midrange, rich on top but it's promising, seems like it's going to be faster than the VM30's with Ivan's and UFO's.

Tomorrow I'll drop the needles to #1 notch and see what happens. Might need to change the main from 240 to 230.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:08 pm 

This morning I dropped the needles to the #1 notch. The bike runs better, still very rich from about half throttle to full throttle. Spark plugs are black.

Bottom end operation is decent, the bike is hard to start though.

Jetting recap:

Pilots 40
Air screw 1 turn
Needles 6DH3 at the top clip (leanest)
Needle jets 389 P-4
Main jet 240

I'm thinking I might need to order a leaner set of needle jets. Mains might need to get smaller too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:53 pm 

There's always the old tuner's adage, " lean it out till it seizes, then go one size richer".
I've had ZERO time to work with my H2.
It's parked right in the middle of my new shop, begging for attention, and I walk right by it on my way to do "other things".
Hopefully July will allow me time to ride and wrench.

Craig

Attachment:
IMG_2703.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:55 pm 

Maybe try 6DH2 needles, or even 6DH7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:06 pm 

I have the 6FP55 needles that came with the carbs, according to Dale's info earlier in this thread I think they are a bit leaner than the 6DH3's. I'll give them a try and if no luck then 6DH7's.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:34 am 

TM's run rich to start with compared to VM's. Your way too big on the needle jets. If your plugs are black, dropping one or two sizes won't clean them up. The differences in their diameter is very small and will only fine tune your midrange jetting. I spent a long time and a lot of $ on jets dialing mine in. Motor is Tony Nicosia 120 ported, runs strong and plugs run pretty clean. I would have gone smaller on the needle jets but O-0 is the smallest available. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:11 pm 

soflah2b wrote:
TM's run rich to start with compared to VM's. Your way too big on the needle jets. If your plugs are black, dropping one or two sizes won't clean them up. The differences in their diameter is very small and will only fine tune your midrange jetting. I spent a long time and a lot of $ on jets dialing mine in. Motor is Tony Nicosia 120 ported, runs strong and plugs run pretty clean. I would have gone smaller on the needle jets but O-0 is the smallest available. Good luck!

Soflah I've looked at the jetting examples here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Tony N. was kind enough to check with several other guys and he called me, providing their TM34 specs. Most are running richer needle jets, one guy is running O-0 like you.

Another guy on the other triples board specifically suggested P-4 as a starting point. He said he runs P-2's on his H1.

That said, yes it's definitely rich from around half throttle to full throttle. I'm taking it slow but it's frustrating, don't want to buy multiple sets of needle jets at $45 per set.

I've been trying to figure out the specs for the needles that came with the carbs 6FP55. Dale provided the info on page 1 of this thread, I found a spreadsheet on his site where I can compare specs between the 6DH3's in the carbs now and 6FP55's. The 6FP55's appear to be significantly leaner in the larger throttle settings. I might as well give them a try before ordering another set of needle jets. It's raining today, might take awhile before I get the H2 on the road to try them out.

I see you are running 190 mains, also much smaller than the other guys. I wonder what pipes you have?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:18 am 

FBG street pipes. You might want to ask the others what their plugs look like. Try the O-6's you said came with them, you will see your plug chop get lighter, then you will know you are going in the right direction. Different needle profiles will get you slightly leaner but it also changes where you come onto the taper and increase's or decreases fuel as you open the throttle. I have all needle jets O-0 through P-2 and some larger. O-0 is where its best. Yes it is very frustrating, time consuming and costly. I know I've been there and done that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:33 pm 

Mike, having 2 RGV's with 34 mm flat slide carbs I've gotten much better at tuning. I found it's best to focus on needle jet size with keeping the jet needle
in the middle clip. Once I get it real close then I can play around with the clip position to finalize it. I should have another H2 in the next few weeks and
the first thing I'll do is switch to TM34's or RGV carbs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:36 pm 

soflah2b wrote:
FBG street pipes. You might want to ask the others what their plugs look like. Try the O-6's you said came with them, you will see your plug chop get lighter, then you will know you are going in the right direction. Different needle profiles will get you slightly leaner but it also changes where you come onto the taper and increase's or decreases fuel as you open the throttle. I have all needle jets O-0 through P-2 and some larger. O-0 is where its best. Yes it is very frustrating, time consuming and costly. I know I've been there and done that.

Upon closer inspection the needle jets are Q-6, not O-6 (too bad)! I have to use a magnifying glass with reading glasses to read the markings on the needle jets.

Soflah if you want to sell some needle jets let me know. I'm thinking of trying O-2 since you're on clip #4 (maybe O-2 will put me in the center clip).

Ron, do you have jetting specs from your prior H2 builds?