Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:43 pm 

I have a 1972 Suzuki GT380 with a Powerdynamo ignition, stock carbs, light porting work. I have the ignition set at 3mm BTDC with my dial guage. The Pwrdynamo fires all 3 same time (2 dead sparks). I have the Pwrdynamo in my RDs and LOVE IT.

Question: I want to verify the timing with my timing light. Standard inductive Bosch light, will the light work? Will it keep up with the rapid spark??

Pics

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:46 pm 

Yes it will. You'll get 3 fires at 120 degrees and you set the timing according to any of them.

I spent about a year setting up this thing and had to advance more and more losing a lot of bottom end. It turns out you have to read the instructions VERY carefully. Since it fires 3 plugs at once you need to set the spark plug gap to .4mm or less. And all plugs exactly the same, so use a feeler gauge and a hammer to tap it in.

EDIT; awesome bike BTW.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:48 pm 

Love the bike Keith! Great color choices too! You do awesome work. :thumbup:

“Jeff and Chris are THE MEN!”
RIP John E. Evans

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:58 am 

Be careful, some timing lights have a feature called "dial-back", which has a dial to change the reading on the light. Only problem is, it is only for EFI digital systems, as they have a touch of computation lag in the computer, and the light has to take that into consideration on those systems.

If the dial back is used on a conventional NON-EFI system, the timing will read incorrectly. So, mark the timing pointer/scale, and leave the dial back feature OFF, if the light has it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:59 am 

Evans Ward wrote:
Love the bike Keith! Great color choices too! You do awesome work. :thumbup:

Thank you Evans, now if I can just get her to run out clean.....uggghh... jetting and tuning pain.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:03 am 

H2RTuner wrote:
Be careful, some timing lights have a feature called "dial-back", which has a dial to change the reading on the light. Only problem is, it is only for EFI digital systems, as they have a touch of computation lag in the computer, and the light has to take that into consideration on those systems.

If the dial back is used on a conventional NON-EFI system, the timing will read incorrectly. So, mark the timing pointer/scale, and leave the dial back feature OFF, if the light has it.

Thanks, I started with a digital type that has 2/4 stroke option and adjustable advance. It should read rpm but it jumps allover the scale. I then bought a more basic, non adjustable type, but was told by local guru not to waste time with the light as it most likely will not work, and could be in accurate.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:06 am 

Arne wrote:
Yes it will. You'll get 3 fires at 120 degrees and you set the timing according to any of them.

I spent about a year setting up this thing and had to advance more and more losing a lot of bottom end. It turns out you have to read the instructions VERY carefully. Since it fires 3 plugs at once you need to set the spark plug gap to .4mm or less. And all plugs exactly the same, so use a feeler gauge and a hammer to tap it in.

EDIT; awesome bike BTW.

Thanks for the compliment. So. 4mm on plugs, I did read that. I set the left cyl to 3mm btdc. Stock shows 2.96 if I remember. Anything else I could overlook on the triple mzb setup??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:08 pm 

wave, I have been, for many decades, and still am the foremost converter of point car distributors, to one of 3 conversions I developed, and do, small-body HEI for carbureted engines, MSD Trigger Only, and EFI-HEI. I have also worked for GM Skunk Works in engine development, and helped develop the coil in cap stock OEM GM HEI distributors. I do not do "drop-in" stuff like PerTronix, other ignitions that just don't work well.

All that hoopla said, if it isn't a computerized EFI system, either leave the dial-back OFF, or, use a light that doesn't have it. Simple as that. I fix systems done by "experts" EVERY DAY, because they simply make messes out of them. Dial-Back is a feature that adds a compensation time to properly deal with the "computer lag", time it takes, in milliseconds, it takes for the computer to do the timing functions and out to the coil. to use dial-back on a system it is not designed for, makes for inaccuracies in the timing readings, sometimes, very drastic ones, depending on the dial-back feature programming.

Just fact, if you have a new Mustang, LS Chevy with the EFI, go hog nutz with the dial back, that is what it is for, but, not on other systems.