Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ignition problem
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:10 pm 

I have a 1974 H1E that ran fine. Without warning the outside cylinders stopped sparking and at the same time the middle cylinder spark turned yellow. Within a few hours the middle cylinder stopped sparking. I have checked the plugs, wiring, unplugged the kill switch, did a resistance test on the stator and finally replaced the CDI unit with a Lakeland CDI unit. Still no spark. I have not checked the coils figuring they wouldn't all go bad together. Could it be the pickups? The bike has 2 and I was wondering if the middle cylinder was separate from the outside cylinders. That would make sense since they went out in that order. How are the pickups tested? Is there any other things I should check like the coils? I don't completely understand this system so any help would be great. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Ignition problem
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

On the late H1 there are only two pickups. There is also an ignition coil in the stator.
The wire colors are shown in this diagram as well as the expected resistance readings.
http://www.kawatriple.com/cdih1.jpg
Air gap could also be a problem....0.025".