Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Uni-Syn carb sync
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:29 pm 

Yes, the float in the Uni-Syn vial.

Question: on the 3 in one Uni-Syn, is that three air meters and ONE vial, or, 3 and 3 (one complete Uni-Syn on each carb)?

Neither of those ways will work. The idea is to get one Uni-Syn set to one carb, then, NOT change the air flow setting, and go on to the other two carbs, adjusting them to read the same float level in the vial. then, going over each carb again, to confirm they all read the same.

The biggest problem with individual meters is that they might read dead same at 18 in/hg of vacuum, but, anything other than that, all over the place. This is the main problem with factory vacuum gauge sets we got for the 4 strokes.

That is why a mercury manometer is so nice, all carbs have vacuum takeoffs, same length lines to meter, and ONE pool of media to raise from. If one carb is off, it is instantly noticeable, the media won't be the same height in the tubes. Also, easiest to do for both idle setting, and on cable off idle.

I still set Hilborn V8 injector stacks with a mercury manometer, I built ones for 4, 6 and 8 cylinder engines, not hard.

I have also never set the air screws other than the factory spec, they are air screws, not fuel screws. If it isn't right after setting the screw to the factory spec, change the pilot jet.

Yes, on the other two carbs, same place as the vacuum valve takeoff. I run the engines on Prime whenever I manometer them, with all 3 hoses on the carbs.

Years ago, there was a factory directed modification (FDM) for the original Z1, in that the pressed in vacuum spigots were pressed into a hole in the head. After heat, vibration, they fell out. FDM was to tap, add threaded in spigots. I have a lot of them, and they are available at good hardware stores and specialty houses like McMaster-Carr. To close them off, I use the vacuum spigot rubber covers from the same Z1. Never had a problem with one coming off.

When we consider the original way the factory manuals said to set the carbs, either Uni-Syn, or manometer is so much better. It was to idle the engine, then, put your hands at the rear of the pipes, and "feel" the exhaust pulses and their intensity, adjust to be the same. Then, pull the boots off the carbs, and with one's fingers, feel for all slides lifting the same off idle. Very scientific.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:46 am 

Hey Dave, it was freakin 1971 man, :roll:
The unison seemed to work well for the guys in the shop.
Seems like they always had it out on the work benches.
May not have been perfect, but its what they used.....
And it was a unit with 3 cups and 3 seperate "vials" as you call them.
With separate floats.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:08 am 

Yup, sure wasn't as good as it could have been. It was still 3 individual testers, subject to reading anywhere they wanted. That was the same trouble we had with the 3 or 4 individual vacuum gauges. The Honda gauges had inline damper valves in each line, supposed to stop the gauges from radical needle pulsation, but, the more they dampener, the farther apart the gauges read from each other.

I used the one Uni-Syn method for decades on stock triples, no worries, just have to keep moving it between carbs until they all read the same. The remote vial one worked great as well.

Just about anything was better than the hands behind the exhaust pipes method. I figure most of the same make and model race two stroke twins and multi's that ran better than the rest, had getting the carb balance dialed in, a significant factor why they were faster, and easier to ride.