Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Triple Project
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:18 pm 

Hello all,
Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself along with asking for a pretty thorough outline of do's and dont's on my new project.
I am from MI and just moved down to TN (30 min from the dragon). My background is in Metallurgy and HT in the automotive industry and a few other skills not worth wasting time on.

I inherited my fathers 75 H2B that sat in the shed since I was a boy. And after other projects finished and marked off my list, I decided to start on this bike. I made a strong decision years ago that it wasn't going to sit in my shed for 20+ years as well. So here I am, ready to start but wanted to get some feedback and advice from all you guys before i get going down the wrong road.

I do not want to do a full restoration. My intention is to set it up with a more current suspension (new forks, AL wheels, Disc Brakes etc.) and put the engine in a nice powerful range. The intent for this bike is just to take it out once in a while and rip on it. So i am looking for as much as I can practically get without putting things in jeopardy. The bike has sat for so long that I intend to pull it all apart and start go through everything. About ten years I kicked it over and it fired up for about 20 sec then i shut it off. That is the only life it has seen in roughly 30 years.

My main questions are as follows:

1. I have read a tremendous amount on different guys are using different carbs for the same stage porting. Is there any foolproof way to setup for the desired porting, Purchasing the desired carbs for the porting only one time, and having somewhat straight forward tuning outlined? What carbs are recommended for which stage porting?
I am hoping to set a list of items for purchase, and tasks to fulfill in order to achieve my result without having to buy different components and play the back and forth game.

2. Will I expect to have to modify the CDI or any other electrical if I go to a higher performance setup? If So, again, what is the most reliable and common way it has been done?

3. Suspension; I have read that a Yam FZ6 fork will bolt right up. Will any other modern bike have the same capability or similar? In Maryville TN there are quite a few forks, wheels and other goodies I can get my hands on without much trouble.

Thats about it guys. I have read a lot on here and have always been quite impressed with everyones knowledge and professionalism so I decided it was time to join and ask my big questions before I start.
I'm asking because i'd like to get it right the first time with the major components. I know that other little details may involve some change and thats fine. I just don't want to end up with 4 sets of different carbs because i don't intend on working on any other triples. I do plan on sending components like the trans, crank and others for service.

Cheers :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: New Triple Project
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

There isn't a simple answer to your questions. An awful lot depends on exactly what your goal is and how much money, time, & effort you want to put into it.
I'd suggest that before you do anything to modify it that you just get what you have in running condition. Then you can approach your mods one at a time with what you think you need to improve first.
Stock ignition is good enough for most... until you want to supertune.
Larger carbs are a good thing to get more HP out of the engine.
By far... the most important thing for increased performance is a good set of expansion chambers!
There are a lot of details involved with engine performance improvements.... and a lot of varied opinions.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hey "Dat". Here is a vid on what to do first. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2KI-IzIh6I

Tell us what you want for hp and then we can go from there on carbs and such. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:33 pm 

You should be familiar with the "Time Warp Tea Room" in Knoxville. Its a cafe with vintage bike stuff and there is also a vintage bike club that meets there for bike nights on Tuesday nights. I try to make it up there every year I go to the gap and every Tuesday I have been there they have had 50+ bikes there, well worth the trip. Oh by the way Welcome!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:49 pm 

First of all, welcome to the board. :wave:

Secondly, WhereDaPicturesAt? We'd all love to see what your starting point looks like. :eh:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 pm 

I live in Knoxville. First of all, what Nitrouscarl said; the Time Warp Vintage Motorcycle group is where it is at. Second, if you need any help, PM me. I ride my H1 nearly every weekend. I certainly don't consider myself an expert, but I have had mine apart and put back it together and it runs great. I need new tires before the Deals Gap week.

75 H1
78 CB400II Hawk
78 KE175

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:03 am 

IMHO
Don't do anything to it yet.
Just ride it for I while, get to know it. maintain it. Appreciate all its misgivings.

Then hopefully you wont butcher it with modern stuff :|

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:44 am 

good too see you here , hope you enjoy your Triple , as much as we all do :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:03 am 

Welcome and TM 32 w/o any porting is already a great upgrade 8-)