Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:39 am 

Just for starters , I'm new to the triples but not to rebuilding or building 2 stokes or new ninjas .

I just picked up a 72 h2 last weekend that was owned since 78 , he drove it every year and has 22k on it . Last year he said it dogged down on him so he shut it down and hauled it home , all compression is good , he thought it might be a crank bearing going ? I haven't tried to start or even mess with yet , I agree it could be a bearing , but could also be a coil going or maybe the points ? Or something even easier . It seams to turn and kick fine but I don't want to harm it by starting if that is the issue . I'd like some of your input , do I just rip it down and start from scratch ? I've read this Charlie guy is the one to send cranks to ?
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:59 am 

couldn't be points as H2 is CDI.
Will disassemble all not because there're some issues but cause don't think previous owner rode it often.
Are you sure was last year it dogged down and not 10 or 20 years ago :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:29 am 
Site Admin

"Dogged down" doesn't give us much to go on....
If it has 22k on it and never been rebuilt then I'd suggest you pull the engine and start from scratch.
As a rule, what prior owners tell you can be meaningless and if you plan to keep the bike the only way you will know what is what will be to go thru it all.
You can expect a crank rebuild (Charlie is highly recommended), rebore w/new pistons (Wossner is good), new bearings & seals.
A good chance new shift forks will be needed and maybe gears in trans.
Reshim transmission.
All H2's have CDI. You can check for spark by pulling plugs & kicking it over to make sure it is working. (Lakeland has new CDI's)
Clean checkvalves & replace springs. http://kawatriple.com/oillines/
You should be able to find most of what you will need here: http://www.kawatriple.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:34 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to the board.

There are a few things I would check first. Do you have spark on all three plugs. The battery is not part of the ignition, so it doesn't have to be charged. If you do have all sparks, then pull the carbs and take a look at the pistons for scoring. I would then check the oil level in the transmission, as a bad seal will suck trans oil into the crankcase.

Do those things and check back in. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:37 am 

Thanks for the input , ya he drove the thing every year just around town it sounded like , I'll prob check the obvious things but chances are I will tear it all down and rebuild. I just didn't know if there might be a obvious problem . I just wasent going to turn down the option of buying it because there hard to get a hold of a nice one !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Having worked on vehicles, you know the best avenue is a rebuild on a 40 year old 2 stroke. But some don't want to spend the money or time on a motorcycle sometimes. So we try to give a few options. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:58 pm 

Personally, I'd try to start it, not a whole lot to lose at this point. I guarantee you wont damage the camshaft!

Most likely the crank seals are bad, not the crank. I've had Charlie rebuild the crank on my H1, highly recommended.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2406

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:40 pm 

Been following this - it comes up often. I can say what Dale said (MRAXL) is true. Look, these bikes are super easy to work on with the horizontal cases and the fact yours is free spinning? Pull the engine, open the casings and just do it. Being a 72 you probably have the nylon gear in the shifter - upgrade that. You can easily check clearances and wear and so much more.

Crank -- I used Charlie but Dave is good too.
Electrics - definitely go with a Jim Hobbs system and don't even mess with the old one. You have a couple of choices with that - Jim can help - call him.
you have a lot of other stuff to check but it's easy --- swing arm bushings, rubbers. gauges (maybe later). Probably replace all the cables (not too expensive). Front brakes (depends on how bad).....

Look, if you do bikes -- these are easy so just get started these are super easy bikes to work on - and there's a ton of parts and support for them now.

For all you dirt bags laughing at me for my transmission problems (hahahahah). I sent it to paul for a back-cut and shim cause yeah I gave up. whoot whoot. Gimmie a break - it was a strange problem.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:08 pm 

Welcome Cisco! You could always try a pressure/vacuum test to check the seals. If anything, it is a good test to be familiar with. Check Dale's resource site for step by step instructions. I always like to diagnose as much as I can before I tear into something. Then I kind of know what to expect when I open it up. I will shoot you a PM with some rebuild info as well.

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"