Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: H2 Engine builder
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 6:13 pm 

I'm not trying to start a big argument, I just want my to get my 72 H2 back on the road. If you were going to have someone go through an H2 engine and transmission to make it (as good as it can be) road worthy again, who would you take it to? My H2 has a fresh crank, fresh bore and wiseco pistons and runs well. The trans is the problem. It acts like the clutch is dragging too much. With it running and the clutch pulled in, I can shift it from neutral to first but not back to neutral. Riding it and shifting feels like the clutch is not disengaging when I pull the lever. I've tryed three different release devices including stock, adjusted all over the place. I've tryed vesera, EBC and stock clutch discs. I've tryed new steel discs. I've tryed ATF, 10w40, Bell Ray 80W oils all to no avail. The trans worked fine when I got the bike back in the 90s and although I split the cases to replace the crank, I didn't disturb/change anything in the trans. I'm out of options. The bike only has 11k miles. If anybody has any suggestions (other than selling it) I'm all ears. :banghead

Post subject: Re: H2 Engine builder
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 7:28 pm 

It sounds like you have a minor clutch problem at the worst, as opposed to a transmission problem. Having to get to neutral before you come to a stop is common with an H1 or H2. If you changed clutch plates recently they may have a little "hair" on them. If that's the case, the problem will be reduced after a few hundred miles.

Post subject: Re: H2 Engine builder
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 8:33 am 

Sometimes you can acquire more lifter travel by adjusting the cable and the lifter adjustment screw under the sprocket cover. Try to make the lifter arm 90 degrees to the cable at mid travel at the handlebar lever, then adjust the free play with the lifter screw. Depending on the lifter installed and who has had their mitts on the bike you could have one with less travel. If the basket or hub has deep indents at clutch plate contact they can fetch up. Maybe you are missing the plate separation 'wavy' springs. If the cases got assembled and the bearing location pins got squashed and/or half moon bearing locator left out the output shaft can move. I would expect shifting issues too though. Not meaning to insult but 5hit happens.