Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:08 pm 

You should test each cylinder individually. It's only if you have a crankshaft with aluminum labyrinth seals that you need to test all three at once. That's because the aluminum seals allow leakage with the engine not running.

How long did each cylinder hold the pressure? My H2crank seals were so bad when I had it rebuilt that I'm sure it would not have held pressure at all.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:00 pm 

We're using this adapter going from the Mityvac to the spark plug hole: https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637204961/compressed-air-adaptor

All cylinder heads torqued to spec.

We tested the right cylinder on the H1B first. Unable to build pressure. We demounted the cylinder head and saw the gasket had been leaking. So we replaced the gasket with a solid piece of rubber (sealing off the top end). Pressure could be built now but did drop slowly. Then we made a hole in the middle of the rubber piece (opening everything up). Again we're unable to build pressure.

The left cylinder was the same, we couldn't pump up pressure.

Going to the H1D, we tested the left cylinder. On that one pressure could be built to 6 psi. It did drop to 4,5-5 psi in about 6 minutes. The vacuum test it failed totally.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:11 pm 

Pecka wrote:
We tested the right cylinder on the H1B first. Unable to build pressure. We demounted the cylinder head and saw the gasket had been leaking. So we replaced the gasket with a solid piece of rubber (sealing off the top end). Pressure could be built now but did drop slowly.

If you replaced the head gasket with a rubber sheet, how did you get any pressure into that cylinder from the spark plug hole?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:32 pm 

We did that on purpose just to see if the spark plug hole adapter, nipple and hose from the pump were okay.

But the pressure did drop slowly even then so that probably needs to be taken into account.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:48 pm 

OK, I get it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:07 pm 

I have never done a cylinder pressure test like that. The only two types of ring leakage tests are pumping, where you get to a certain PSI, around 160 would be good, by kicking it over, or a cylinder leakdown test (almost always for four strokes) that measures flow, you will see leakages under 10 percent maybe. For these bikes, the "kick with a pressure guage in the plug hole and wide open throttle" is the accepted method. This is not what you are doing. For crankcase leakage, you were supposed to do a vacuum test on individual crankcases, with stock seals.
I do have to applaud you for the longest running thread on a single topic, on this board and i'm sure, on any bike or automotive help board on the entire internet. :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:37 pm 

DGA wrote:
I do have to applaud you for the longest running thread on a single topic, on this board and i'm sure, on any bike or automotive help board on the entire internet. :clap:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2087

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:58 am 

Jim wrote:
DGA wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2087

LOL! Ok, second longest thread....!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:32 am 

DGA wrote:
I have never done a cylinder pressure test like that. The only two types of ring leakage tests are pumping, where you get to a certain PSI, around 160 would be good, by kicking it over, or a cylinder leakdown test (almost always for four strokes) that measures flow, you will see leakages under 10 percent maybe. For these bikes, the "kick with a pressure guage in the plug hole and wide open throttle" is the accepted method. This is not what you are doing. For crankcase leakage, you were supposed to do a vacuum test on individual crankcases, with stock seals.

We are doing crankcase tests. Two Dorman plugs for inlet and exhaust, one nut and gasket for the oil line and piston at bottom.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:12 am 

The H1B had the same problem as the H1D, that is not running on the center cylinder.

The H1B now had the engine completely rebuilt and runs great. :thumbup:

The crank seals were completely dried out.

The H1D engine is going to have the same treatment too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next