Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:23 am 

No need to check for the strength of spark. Your new CDI unit was thoroughly tested. It really does look like something about that piston and/or cylinder has a problem.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:38 am 

Jim wrote:
No need to check for the strength of spark. Your new CDI unit was thoroughly tested. It really does look like something about that piston and/or cylinder has a problem.

Yes I was tempted to pull off the cylinder head and cylinder and look but let it be for the moment, because I'm not sure I would see any clues?. It did pass the compression test over the rings.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

It might have been suggested before, but stick your hand over the carb closing it off when she is running, to see if there are pressure pulses.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

You might want to check for clogged exhaust.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:47 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
It might have been suggested before, but stick your hand over the carb closing it off when she is running, to see if there are pressure pulses.

If theres no pulses what would be the most likely cause?

I can try to clean out the exhaust pipe with petrol based degreaser maybe.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

leaking seals.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:47 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
leaking seals.

And it could be any seal, or are some more likely?

I have access to an STE Synchrometer I can try to put on the carb.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:05 am 
Site Admin

Give it a try, it would have to be a comparative against the other cylinders. Or you can use your hand..... ;) If you are not getting a good pulse, then it could be any adjoining seal. And, maybe a clogged pipe. you can always pull it and fire her up. just don't run it long if the middle cylinder comes alive.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:51 am 

Pecka wrote:
Jim wrote:
So you mean you now have good spark on all three cylinders, but it's still not firing on all three? Is the problem still just the middle cylinder?

I have spark with the plugs laying on the cylinder heads. Could cut off the electrode on an old plug and see if it jumps, as suggested earlier in the thread?

Case and point. Replacing with one of Jim's boxes is certainly peace of mind, but not properly diagnosing from the get go causes you to chase your tail and throw away good money. If you had checked for good spark as suggested earlier, you could have saved a lot of time and money. ;)

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:10 am 
Site Admin

In the last few years, the CDI's seem to be failing faster than the dopers in high school. I always recommend getting Jim's boxes now just out of course of action. As we pretty much know, the stock boxes will most likely be failing soon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next