Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: No head gasket?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:32 pm 

Do you think it matters which component gets the groove--the head or the jug? For me and my equipment, it would seem easier to machine a groove into the head...do you know if anyone has done the heads instead of the jugs?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:56 pm 

I did mine in the heads.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:50 pm 

I know people here said I couldn't do it that way, but I tossed the head gasket and just used the existing head groove, with a small Viton O ring. I have no oil leaks or any signs of head leaks so far.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:40 pm 

DGA wrote:
I know people here said I couldn't do it that way, but I tossed the head gasket and just used the existing head groove, with a small Viton O ring. I have no oil leaks or any signs of head leaks so far.

I noticed that in your pics....did you make your own orings? Looked like you had oring by the foot there :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:08 am 

Yes, I used Viton Fluoroelastomer O ring cord from McMaster, part number 96515K11 you need 3 feet of it. I didn't bond the ends, just make it slightly longer and grease it in place to assemble.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:13 am 

I haven't used headgaskets for 3 years. And I don't use any O-rings either. ONLY a this smear of high temp silicone sealant. Absolutely no leaks.
Over here, nobody believed me in this can work. Now, a couple of them have thrown away the head gasket themselves due to portwork/squishband heads, and use the sealant only.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:31 am 

Having a proper O-ring groove means you can remove a head and replace it any time, without having to remove old sealer, apply new sealer, wait for it to dry, etc., and the O-ring can be used many times if the groove is correct. My feeling is that if you have the head in a lathe to work on the combustion chamber shape, the additional work to cut a groove is minor, and well worth the few minutes it takes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:11 am 
Site Admin

What's the best oil to use? :lol: :e11 :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:46 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
What's the best oil to use? :lol: :e11 :lol:

You should have asked, "what's the torque while using o-rings?" :lol: :e11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:22 am 

Not many of us here have worked oin liquid cooled Yamaha two stroke road race engine top ends, but, they do not use a head gasket, per se. Those setups do have O ring grooves in the cylinder deck, three of them. One is for the O ring that seals the liquid cooling chamber from the outside of the barrel, the other two, same, but to keep coolant out of the cylinders. The actual sealing is handled by the machined flat surfaces of the cylinder and head.

I have a large number of these Yamaha top ends for those engines, and have never had a compression leakage issue, nor coolant leak, even when a "helper" omitted the two compression groove O rings in one engine run in an AMA National road race that my rider won. Never have had to resurface either a cylinder, nor head, either.

Only things you have to do to run no head gaskets are, sealing surfaces must be flat and true, and, to get the squish clearances right, you have to know what you are doing in measuring, machining and tuning. I used to have stacks of factory road race H engine series head gaskets, round for H1R and H2R special stuff, and stock pattern for street barrels converted, in various different thicknesses to set the squish clearances, never used them.