Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:12 pm 

Here's the scoop , I've done a bunch of engines from cars to snowmobile race engines with no problems ( besides one circlip breaking on me ) but this is the first h2 one . I took it apart and Charlie did the crank , I've cleaned everything and put everything we're it needs to go , really just the gears , drum and kick drive. I put the cases together and everything thing seemed fine , today I went to turn the shift drum but it was stuck ..... so I split the case again , cleaned everything off and dry fitted everything and snug the bolts up , and it turned ( I didn't change nothing and nothing seemed out of place ) so I cleaned everything and even threw a little oil on the gears and drum to assure good lubrication . Put it back together , torqued big bolts and did the smaller ones and kept checking the drum , seems fine , then started torquing the small ones and it locks up . I got it down to just the few small bolts on the drum side that if I tighten to spec the drum locks up tight, if I back them up a bit it'll turn .
What the hell is going on ! I didn't rip the gears apart or change bearings because everything was fine . The only thing I did is take the drum out and put back in . I shifted threw the gears and every was fine
Anyone else have a problem like this ? All the gears still move fine , not the drum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

See if these help for comparison. I'm guessing you don't have the bearing collars lined up with the case pins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uklqIDAF36I&t=433s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcNc0NAn2tY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI7XBxeejRA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:47 pm 

There all lined up , if you don't have them lined up the case wouldn't fall together without tightening the nuts . If the collars weren't in the pins wouldn't it be about a 1/8" away from the bearing sitting were it should?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:02 am 
Site Admin

There is obviously something wrong, as the small studs shouldn't have any effect on the drum, I'm just thinking out loud. Only thing I can think of is something is pushing on the forks to lock the drum, but that is unlikely. The drum does have to be mega slathered in oil or it won't want to turn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:34 am 

That's exactly what I thought , that the forks are getting pushed against from the gears once torqued , so I split it apart and inspected . The stupid thing is once you drop the case on top of the other it seriously falls together with a little tap of a rubber hammer which tells me nothings binding or sticking in the way . Plus once the drum gets stiff the gears turn just fine , I'd think that the gears would be a little tight if they were pushing against the drum ? So frustrating and I know it's something simple

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:47 am 

Could the drum be bent? Try putting it together without the shift forks to see if the drum will turn on it's own when you know there is nothing touching it... :think:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:01 am 

Cisco,
Its a long way for you to go but if you want help you can bring it up north and i will help ...

mark