Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:07 pm 

That is why I think it is marginal. I used to regularly get 13mpg from my stock H1-B and it would do a massive lean sneeze if held WOT for more than a mile or so. Then I corrected fuel flow. Fixed it. I realise the bike may never be ridden like that, but it is heaps easier to check the fuel flow now, than change pistons later.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:16 pm 

So what type of tap would you use in a street H2, for example, given that you pretty much need a reserve position.....?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:56 pm 
Site Admin

I think one will find without the filters, the flow is more than enough, just looking at them the inlet and outlet are smaller than the 3/16" hose. And as I did, it's easy to convert the stock petcock to 1/4" lines. And I run all 3 38's off of one spigot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:29 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
According to your picture in the other thread, you have the filters installed backwards. I don't think it makes a big difference though.

Your'e quite right, Ja-Moo!. Thanks!!
I oversaw the arrow on all three filters. So when I make errors, I'm consistent and do it properly ;)
Will make another test...

Bikes:
H1 Candy Red, 1970
Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000, 1992

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:30 pm 

Neville Lush wrote:
That is why I think it is marginal. I used to regularly get 13mpg from my stock H1-B and it would do a massive lean sneeze if held WOT for more than a mile or so. Then I corrected fuel flow. Fixed it. I realise the bike may never be ridden like that, but it is heaps easier to check the fuel flow now, than change pistons later.

Exactly, Neville ;)

Bikes:
H1 Candy Red, 1970

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:31 pm 

Ja-Moo wrote:
Say you are getting a dismal 10mpg, and you are doing 120 mph for 1 minute. That's 2 miles in a minute. So you are looking at 2 miles at 10mpg, or 1/5th of a gallon. There are 3785.41 cc's in a gallon, so 1/5th of 3785 is 757cc's.

Just the math of it all........ ;)

Yeah - I get your point - even though miles and (us) gallons aren't my natural preferences ;)
I'll do another test, with filters pointer the right way, and one without the external filters. I still have 2 Suzuki :!: :!: filters mounted on petcock + the strainer.

Bikes:
H1 Candy Red, 1970

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:02 pm 

900SL wrote:
Ja-Moo wrote:
According to your picture in the other thread, you have the filters installed backwards. I don't think it makes a big difference though.

Your'e quite right, Ja-Moo!. Thanks!!
I oversaw the arrow on all three filters. So when I make errors, I'm consistent and do it properly ;)
Will make another test...

Did a new test during the weekend:
Approx 16 sec for 250 ccm without hoses and filters
Aprox 17,5 sec for 250 ccm with hoes and filters installed the right way :D That more than 2 secs faster than my earlier attempt.

I'll dare to conclude that the petcock can deliver sufficient amounts of Go-Go juice for riding WOT. Maybe not for hours, but at least for my intended use.

If I'll rely on the Suzuki filters on the petcock alone + the strainer I can cut another 2 secs. of:

Bikes:
H1 Candy Red, 1970