Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:06 pm 

Jim wrote:
Did you try a stock petcock with the big float valves, Jim?

In a word, yes and no. It was a stock petcock, for an '86 600 Ninja. At higher elevation (Bonneville is usually around DA 7800 during Speed Week) you have less pressure acting on the fuel in the tank so extreme action must be taken to make a gravity feed system flow enough. I will be setting up future bikes with an electric pump due to the flow problems I had.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by falconman on Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:17 pm 

Interesting, thanks for the explanation.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:42 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
If you actually want to do a test for piece of mind, You can take a main jet and see how much it flows in 30 seconds, and then your pilot. Then let one petcock line run through the fuel valve (bowl off basically) into a measuring jar and then just subtract the jet flows. :thumbup:

Great - sounds like an easy way to get piece of mind

Bikes:
H1 Candy Red, 1970
Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000, 1992

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:55 pm 

Do a fuel test. Place the three lines into a jug and measure how much flow there is in one minute. Repeat test with fuel cap open. Often the vent gets partially blocked. When I was younger my H1-B would run the bowls dry after about 3 miles WOT. I found the vent /cap gasket had swollen due to water ingress blocking part of the air inlet. After fixing that I could run for pretty much as long as I wanted. Bike was completely stock however.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:33 pm 

That's some good advice, Nev. I had my H2's gas cap labyrinth vent clog from swollen gaskets myself. And if you're not used to how it goes together, it can be pretty confusing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:38 am 

One thing that actually puzzles me is a Z1 fuel tap, the hole in the rubber inside the tap that allows the fuel to flow is about the diameter of a matchstick! This aperture allows enough fuel to pass to feed FOUR carburettors at 130 MPH! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:59 am 

R.B. wrote:
One thing that actually puzzles me is a Z1 fuel tap, the hole in the rubber inside the tap that allows the fuel to flow is about the diameter of a matchstick! This aperture allows enough fuel to pass to feed FOUR carburettors at 130 MPH! :shock:

I guess a matchstick would have greater diameter than the combined total of 4 main jets, right? The volume of fuel that can flow through the main jet is what really matters...and it's probably less than we think even considering intake vacuum.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:52 pm 

4 carbs for sure but only pulling fuel every second lap of the engine. A Zed uses half the fuel of an H2. Do not forget that the size of the jet is not everything, the engine pulls fuel out of that hole, more than just what would run thru the hole with gravity.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:02 pm 

my tank drained from full in about 1 minute but I'm using a 3/8" ball valve for a petcock. Just do the test with the fuel cap on and compare flow at the beginning and end. I doubt any triple can consume that amount.
Rounding some numbers
100 mph @ 10 mpg with a 3 gallon tank, it would take 18 minutes to consume that gas.
Maybe not the perfect equation but it kind of put things into perspective.

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:34 pm 

Wow :) that IS a good tap.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next