Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:53 pm 

Making progress :D , KH400 wheel+ KH axle + KH500 rotor and it all fits nice except I need to make a spacer, the rotor hits the fork leg with current spacer I need about 1/8 thicker spacer :think: , easy enough to make, gona shim it out with washers and have local machine shop cout me a new one.

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:02 pm 

Uhh... Not trying to hi-jack this thread, but it is mostly on the subject of alternate wheels, right?

If that's OK, I found a Yamaha wheel off of an XS 650, I was told, '76-'79, that ALMOST is a direct fitment.
There has to be hundreds of these wheels lost in the bike wrecking yards around the USA, let alone the world...
Mine were cheap, I think I paid $30 for three wheels???

Disc width is 2.8mm? Seems the same as my H-2 discs....
The yam disc is a little bigger in diameter, 11 11/16"? ... 297mm??? Nothing here that large in metric measuring available....

I have a dual disc kaw and yam wheel, as they both have both sides drilled for discs.
The difference in width, outside-to-outside of the dual discs, was about .032"?

WHY I was looking at these wheels, is that they come laced up to shouldered aluminum 19" WM2 Takasago rims.

Even the H-2 speedo cable screwed correctly into place on the yam drive.

The PROBLEM with these wheels are thus;

IF you are trying to stay with the original H-2/1 40 spoke wheels, the Yams are only 36 spokes. But nobody can count spokes at speed...

And, the yam fork assembly IS narrower, and the yam axle has hexes on the ends, both ends being nuts. I 'spose you could lathe the hexes off, thereby having enough length to clamp onto [ 24mm diameter clamping? ], but I ended up placing a .075" thick washer between the speedo drive and it's nut, everything closely centered up! No pinching closed the fork ends. Cleared the hexes!

Seems like a CHEAP way to get an aluminum laced wheel up front!
No, it isn't even close to stock H-2. No show bike possibility here.....

The funny thing to me is, there is more braking surface on the yam disc, than there is on the H-2 disc!
Even the carrier the actual disc bolts/rivets to, the yam's carrier is smaller than the H-2's!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

I think he is going for the 18" for better handling.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:48 pm 

Yup going 18 for better handling, and better look/stance, also trying to stick to Kawasaki parts only, all that stands in the way is time and a spacer (I think :think: ) and I think it will be an easy upgrade once the parts list is made.

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:04 pm 

OK then.

I also have an H-2 hub laced to an 18" Borrani WM3-record rim.... Had this done in '86...

For a road bike, not a canyon cutting afternoon rider, which is better?
the 18" "better handling" wheel
Or
the original 19" wheel?

Considering road grooves, small potholes, and other road damage one might see traveling anywhere in the USA?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:03 am 
Site Admin

I just lace a H series rear rim to the front hub. Yes, the 18 makes a noticeable difference, and actually adds a better leverage ratio to the disc. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:14 am 

OK, I can see the leverage aspect, but I wonder about the long distance ride quality? Not jammin' high intensity sporting canyon carving short ride competition riding....

Uhm, ride quality over high performance.... Braking? Intense riding?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

The less unsprung weight, the better the ride, as long as you don't have totally crap suspension.