Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oil Pump Setting
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:57 pm 

My old Suzuki 500 had the oil pump after the clutch........but if you are sitting at the traffic lights in gear, clutch pulled in, then you are not a motorcyclist....! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:03 pm 

Some will argue that's the safe way to do it, so you can squirt out of the way if someone is barreling down on you. I don't make that argument though. But I doubt if you could damage an engine at even the longest red light by not having the pump working unless you're revving it like an idiot.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:22 pm 

:lol: Clutch in and revving it like an idiot would go hand in hand, wouldn't it!! Clutch in at lights on most of the bikes I've had would see me slowly creeping into the intersection...... :o Next, they'll tell you its safer to take off with both feet off the pegs.....! (Sorry, just in a stirring mood....! :lol: )

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:00 am 

RODH2 wrote:
Australia was one of the very few places in the world that had racing for Stock Production, showroom standard bikes, and it was heavily enforced - particularly in races like the "Castrol 6-hour" race. I, myself, was protested for having hand-finished porting in my Standard H2, well, of course. the early H2's did have mildly hand finished ports, it was standard! So, technically, that S2 pump on a H2 bike, was illegal, but we'll let you off, because Hurley is one of the good-guys!! :lol: So in Australia "stock-standard" meant exactly that, and that is how I raced my H2 for a few seasons. You took the stands off, headlight and tail light "glass" off, and wired up drain plugs, (all for "safety") and you went racing.

Sorry tuner just saying hurleys bike wasnt standard as our race regs say as on the showroom floor , but there were very few that didnt change something , Rod new what I was saying

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:49 pm 

I just wanted to clear up something ... simply because I may have given someone some "mis-information" ... of sorts ...

The crank to pump ratio of both the H1 and the H2 are the same at 2.57:1 ... crabbysteve and I determined that years ago ...

What makes the oiling difference is ... the throttle cam on the H2 is larger in diameter than that of the H1 ... which "throws" (turns) the pump cam further ... yielding more oil ...

All of the "S" series bikes are 2.91:1

I apologize if I led anyone astray ... :oops:

I have always found that being "open and honest" is the best form of communication ... and I will be the first one to admit a mistake ...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:06 am 

Of all the H series 3 outlet street bike pumps, I have never seen a different pull cable holder in diameter. The differences are in the cam and ramp. Primary oil pump ratios between all H series are the same, even the R series bikes that had the fixed position cable pull screwed down to the pump. The R series cable pulls were a bit larger over all, so the slot that the wheel had would overlap the screw post hole, so the wheel could be locked down, no cable action, no cable.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:44 am 

OK ... I was wrong :oops: ... I got in a hurry ...

The pump throttle cam I measured was a H2B (4 hole)
It has a diameter of 1.4"
I don't have a H2/H2A to measure
The H1 throttle cam I measured is 1.3" diameter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:02 am 

Hmmm, I guess I could use a H2 cam on my H1 then!

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:40 am 

Darth, by "cam" do you mean "pulley"?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:24 am 

Based on the size he quoted, I'd suspect so.

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next