Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oil Pump Setting
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:32 pm 

mraxl wrote:
Darth, that is the kind of Triple info you can't get anywhere and I'd be happy to include it in Resource site info when it is concluded.

I'll add the throttle wheel dimensions to it and then get "what I have" over to ya ... probably right after the Holidays ...

Oh ... speaking of such ...

Merry Christmas to all you guys !!!

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:00 pm 

Merry Christmas to you and everyone else!
To John's point, the reason I'm interested in the H2 "pulley" is it might help my over travel issue with 35mm carbs on a H1 and I won't need to retard the initial setting as much.
I'm pretty much convinced that improving oil consumption has more to do with the oil line check valves being in good shape.

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:16 pm 

This is a good thing, measuring all the different parts, for match up and ID for the different pumps. Nice work, Darth. It'd probably be a PITA, but, maybe as this goes along, someone can record the amount of oil for a given number of piston strokes for each pump at one setting.

It would be nice to also know what the outputs @ say, 500 rpms of pump speed, with the wheel at both idle and full throttle wheel lineups actually do deliver.

For instance, Holley carbs have a stock accelerator pump that delivers 30cc's of fuel over 10 pump strokes. For performance applications, Holley offers a "REO" pump, deeper housing and diaphragm, 50cc's per 10 strokes. The only thing that changes either one of these pumps for volume output is different curvatures of the cam on the throttle shaft that operates the pump. Interesting how the big pump got its name. Most inlet manifolds of the era held the carb at a couple of inches above the inlet ports on most engines, variable, but not much, and these applications were quite happy with the 30cc pumps. Along Comes Ransom Edward Olds, and builds a high torque truck engine for their trucks, with an intake manifold that sat the carb up about 7 - 1/2 inches above the ports. This required a larger volume pump to get enough fuel down to the ports, and the 50cc pump was born. The truck, The REO, later, Diamond - Reo, pump named for the original truck it was used on.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:18 pm 

Walms wrote:
... the reason I'm interested in the H2 "pulley" is it might help my over travel issue with 35mm carbs

Oh yea !!! I completely forgot about that ... I remember you telling me that up at RB's place ??? ... perhaps ???

The one I measured (H2B-1) is only .1" bigger ... I'm not sure that would solve your issues ???

But it might help a bit ???

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:41 pm 

Isn't there a simple pump output test, (H1/H2) in the early factory service manuals, that you could use as a baseline test b4 you swap pulleys, etc.......! :think: (Kill me, haven't read the whole thread yet!! :lol: )

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:42 am 

Yes, there are specs, but, I'd rather see specs gathered from actual today testing for each pump.

The H series pumps should work with 34's/35's easy, set last dot to line, engine off, wide open throttle, should work well. That is what I do, no problems.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:07 am 

Yeah, if you used that baseline test, then tested with a typical 40+ year old pump, and then tried different pulleys, etc, you'd have a regular starting point for any set-up....... :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:34 pm 

Hi Guys and gals…

Just wanted to introduce myself again. Being around for a while from the old site and such.
Cliff “finished” his H1D in 1984, that is, as an “assembled” bike in Mich. and has its own VIN and reg. One source of insurance.
These things are never finished as we all know.
Many old school upgrades to the engine/geometry to make it tractable and confident to ride, 45 minutes at a time that is!
“Spent” after that. Just too much stimulus….
As I spend(sic) a half day off before our weeks’ vacation time, I wanted to greet and wish ya’ll a
Happy-
Merry Christmas
:)
cliff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:39 pm 

I am to spend some time this week to help in the oiling system details that may help in the sticky must knows.
3 Pumps on the H1 have be mapped as to crank position/RPM/Time/Volume so many ratios can be had..
CC’s per stroke/Minute and such. Updates when I have it in a presentable format. cliff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:49 pm 

Thanks Cliff, and have a great Christmas yourself!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next