Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Oil Pump Setting
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:49 pm 

Many people and most especially Tony Nicosia have spoken about reducing the oil output from the oil pump.
That is, backing off the cable adjustment to give less oil to the motor.
Tonny assured me the stock setting was way over oiling and on his tests he backed it way off without causing damage.
If we add to that the fact that modern oil is much better than what was available in the 70s, it does seem to make some sense to back off the oil pump.

Does anyone have any experience of this and if so how far did they back off ?

Post subject: Re: Oil Pump Setting
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:58 pm 

The manual suggests lining up the marks on the pump by tensioning the cable.
I leave it so it is offset a bit.
Rebuilding the check valves and making sure the cracking pressure is at 4 psi will do wonders for reducing oil consumption as well.

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:16 pm 

Not to argue with anyone else's personal experience, but my H2 uses conventional oil, and is set to the factory spec. I've never seized a piston, never foul plugs, always runs great (etc.).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:30 pm 

Jim wrote:
Not to argue with anyone else's personal experience, but my H2 uses conventional oil, and is set to the factory spec. I've never seized a piston, never foul plugs, always runs great (etc.).

Spot on Jim. Same here and never burned a piston (in 37 years) :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:47 pm 

Ditto to Jim and Barry, not saying you can't/shouldn't back things off, but just seen so many people back off settings, mess with in line filters, change oil types, and then have more trouble than enough, and always blaming the Kawasaki oiling system. I just left mine alone forever, used the same oil, (Valvoline 2-T, back in the day) and never had any trouble.......... (same for engines too, they do rattle a bit around about the 60,000 mile mark........!) :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:57 pm 

I fitted a Late H2 oil pump to my 72 , as they are surpose to put out less oil and run motorex fully syn oil , with no problem , have heard of guys fitting H1 pumps with fully syn oil ,

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:25 pm 

I am running an H1 pump on my H2 as well

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:43 pm 

Only a vague recollection, but didn't Darth show that the difference in oil output for an H1 pump vs. an H2 pump is the drive ratio, not the pump itself? (same for S pumps)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:41 am 

Jim wrote:
Only a vague recollection, but didn't Darth show that the difference in oil output for an H1 pump vs. an H2 pump is the drive ratio, not the pump itself? (same for S pumps)

good point ? , must check part no;s

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:33 pm 

Specific oil pump output volumes have been changed many times per model, as we see as example, H2, H2-1, H2-2, H2-3, etc. Each successive number has altered oil volume delivery for the same internal setting.

On the baile, the cable wheel, there are dots past the line, I set my pumps, no matter the pump, at engine OFF, wide open throttle, to the last dot on the baile, to the line on the post, never broke an engine from those settings, ONLY conventional oil, and, I was probably the first person that went as far as to measure the check valve blow off pressures and adjust them to 4.6 psi. I NEVER set my street bikes, stock, to as hot rod as I cam make them, to use premix.

One year at the Castrol 6 hour endurance race in Australia, Hurley ran a stock H2 street bike in the stock 750 class, and used the H2 wheel for the pump, and an S1 pump, ran the whole race on ONE tank of engine oil, no premix, never missed a beat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next