Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: H2 needle jets
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:44 pm 

Quote:
BBP, do the UFOs considerably change jetting if you make no other changes? TMX34

motometal............Moo is correct........only for round VM's..........they claim with UFO's, they flow better than flat slides and don't have the gated ON\OFF effect..........there are flow charts on a KTM site if you google it...........whether true, I don't know (nor do I care)........the pilot jet is about half the size from stock........I run a 17.5 pilot........the rest is pretty much the same on a stock motor........I have several mod's, therefore different jetting...........they work well once dialed in

THX Phil :thumbup:

Post subject: Update: H2 needle jets
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:21 am 

Hawaii-Mike wrote:
My H2 has Ivan's jet kit. I put on a different set of cylinders, mildly ported and squish heads (not Moo's, somebody else.) The bike runs well. I guess due to the squish heads, jetting changed and I put the needles at the leanest setting (#1 - the top) to get the bike running right. There's still a rich spot from 1/4 - 3/8 throttle.

Having looked at the info here: http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/carb/mikunineedle.html

I thought I might try a narrower needle jet to allow for better adjustment of the needle. I believe 169 O-5 needle jet is .005 mm narrower than the stock needle jet and I don't know how much difference that will make. So I'm thinking of ordering the 169-04, which I think is .01 mm narrower than stock.

The H2 was running better and a lot less rich at small throttle openings. Still, it was annoying to ride in the "fat" area. And I've fouled several sets of plugs on rides with my friends. They like to cruise through Waikiki. Right in the "fat" range and then after we stop for a break, my bike won't start again. Put in a new set of plugs, lots of smoke and then it's running.

Here are the recent changes I've made to the H2.

I sent another a set of heads to by Fast by Gast. They didn't specify exactly what was done besides milling. Maybe that was all. With stock head gaskets, compression is 155 psi. The new(er) set of heads added power.

Last week I bought the brass that I mentioned in the first post. Here are the details:

- VM30 carbs
- 169-04 needle jet (just installed).
- 150 main jets - these are the hex type. Previous main jets with Ivan's needle jets were 112.5
- Ivan's needle. Clip on the center #3 slot (used to be on #2 slot, one notch leaner).
- 15 pilot (no change)
- UFO's (no change)
- Air screws one turn out.

The change in needle jet and moving the needle clip one notch richer did the trick. The bike sounds just barely fat in the 1/4 -3/8 throttle range, it's more fun to ride. And I hope to foul fewer spark plugs in the future.

I don't know if this exact jetting setup will work for anyone else's H2. The point is, going to a slightly leaner needle jet cleaned up the 1/4 - 3/8 throttle range and made the bike more rideable.

Main jetting might need some adjustment but it's close.