Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Braided brake lines
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:29 pm 

I bought stock braided lines from Dennis Kirk for my H2 with ES caliper; they had sizes that allowed for a custom fit and bolt on application.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:42 am 

Walms wrote:
I wasn't making lite of his post, sorry if you took it tha. Way...
I guess we have it pretty good in Ontario, you just need to get a bike through safety when it changes ownership.
This is why it's best to keep things stock until after it's in your name then go crazy afterwards. ;)

No Worries.
Here we have the same with ownership changes, some other states have an annual inspection. Then there's random roadside police roadworthty checks & the chance that anytime you get stopped by police for anything an inspection can be done.

No-ones mentioned it yet, but braided lines are good :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:44 pm 

In NSW they are illegal , BUT ! , I am a RTA inspector for Rego's and Blue slips (unregisted viehical inspections) ,I would pass them on a bike no worries , you may need to go and talk to the guy where your going to get it tested if its a bike shop they will most probable be ok with them , I got new brake lines made at the local brake shop for not a lot of money exact copies of original ones ,urs Al

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:49 pm 

Thanks for the info guys, this bike will have one inspection at first (new) rego. I do have rego papers from '87 for it so it's possible (here) I could register it on-line, (but not likely)!! For screw on ends, what is the best thing to use for a thread sealer??

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:39 am 

RODH2 wrote:
Thanks for the info guys, this bike will have one inspection at first (new) rego. I do have rego papers from '87 for it so it's possible (here) I could register it on-line, (but not likely)!! For screw on ends, what is the best thing to use for a thread sealer??

DO NOT use sealer on brake lines :shock: , they should all have a tapered sealing seat , sealer could flow back to m/cyl and block ports coursing brake failure or locking on , not a good thing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:14 am 

RODH2,
I've a question for ya;

If the braided line has a sleeve on it marked DOT from the manufacturer, would this be an acceptable alternative for those other entities?

If so, I got my lines from jegs, they are made by Russell, and come marked and packaged as DOT legal.
Unfortunately, not all or any lengths are available, and the screw-on end's length cannot be determined before hand.
Fortunately, I somewhat know one of the fellas there, and he sez as long as no brake fluid has been put through the lines or fittings, I can come back and exchange until satisfied things work and fit well.

I could have bought much less expensive braided lines, NOT marked DOT, but as I'm giving two of these forks to my brother and nephew, SAFETY FIRST! They aren't boik people... I don't know their State's safety regs... And, they and their boiks are gonna be over 2500 miles away from me.
Brett

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:45 pm 

Apex brakes. The guy's on Ebay from Canada. He's got the cheapest brake lines I've found and I'm CHEAP! Anyway, he sells custom lengths and configurations and supplies banjos and crush washers for free. I beleive in his ads he states some sort of certification.(A canadian DOT) I have his lines on three of my bikes and I'm completely pleased with his product/work! I just got five lines made for my triple discer H2 for $75!! Nice fit and feel. One thing though. They DONT have swivel fittings, so, make sure you order the correctly angled end fittings!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:05 pm 

I got a custom-length set of "Venhill" braided lines made which have DOT approval sleeves - that will get me thru the inspection system here. They are a very neat installation, and have swivel ends.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:46 pm 

Looney Cylinders wrote:
As Walms describes (ignore the Hardley reference thing at the site):

http://www.russellperformance.com/index_moto.shtml

They have a DOT label on their street lines...

J

PS. Don't forget to add the length of the fittings when calculating the correct length of line to order.

The 400 has Russels on it that are 10 years old or better. :thumbup:

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1
06 Kaw 750 Vulcan (wife’s bike)
12 Yammi vstar 250 (wife’s bike)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:47 pm 

Repro Decals now has steel lines disguised a OEM .. They look great and designed for H1 or H2.